* [9fans] 9vx and AWK
@ 2009-07-24 10:03 Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2009-07-24 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi All !!!

Anyboby use AWK on 9vx ???

I'm try to build Inferno on 9vx, but AWK script generate nothing in
emu.root.h ;(

Any known issues with 9vx and AWK ?

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] 9vx and AWK
@ 2009-07-24 11:10 ` yy
From: yy @ 2009-07-24 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/7/24 Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com>:

> Any known issues with 9vx and AWK ?

The awk system() built-in does not work in 9vx out of the box. I think
the reason is awk uses the ape shell to execute system commands and
ape is not included (it uses the stdlib.h system() function, that's
for sure). I have not found any more issues, but ymmv. Anyway, *this*
problem is solved downloading a full plan9 image to use with 9vx (you
can find several ones around). I don't know if it will solve yours.

PS: I have read old logs where it was discussed that awk should be a
native plan9 application and not an ape port (or, at least, it should
use rc instead of the ape shell). Is there any reason this was not
done? or was it not worth the trouble?

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com

* Re: [9fans] 9vx and AWK
@ 2009-07-24 12:50   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> PS: I have read old logs where it was discussed that awk should be a
> native plan9 application and not an ape port (or, at least, it should
> use rc instead of the ape shell). Is there any reason this was not
> done? or was it not worth the trouble?

probablly because it'll (or could, anyway) break working scripts.

- erik