* [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-01 17:44 Demis Rosseti
From: Demis Rosseti @ 2008-01-01 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi! Happy new year for all!
plan9.bell-labs.com is down?

--
Demis Rosseti

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-01 17:52 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It goes down, and then it goes back up again. It's regular but
inconsistent. You'll have to learn to deal with it! :-)

Happy New Year!

From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

PS - It's back up now

On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Demis Rosseti wrote:

> Hi! Happy new year for all!
> plan9.bell-labs.com is down?
>
> --
> Demis Rosseti

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-02 13:34   ` Iruata Souza
       [not found]     ` <d1c554290801051323l5c9dcc4fs16fc0c0e94076fa1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-01-02 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

down here, since yesterday

--
iru

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
       [not found]     ` <d1c554290801051323l5c9dcc4fs16fc0c0e94076fa1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2008-01-12 13:45       ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-01-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't know why people cant come here complain about this, but the
site is down *again*.
It has been very unstable for some days now.

{plan9,cm}.bell-labs.com returns Object not Found.

thanks for the attention,
iru

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 14:57         ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Another thing is, where is http://cm.bell-labs.com/? I can't access
any page on that (/who/bwk has Brian Kernighan's page, which has
links to the source code he made with company, /cs, which gives you
access to the CSTR website, which includes old papers; /cm/cs/^(upe
awkbook cbook tpop), some books (the awkbook one is one I'd like to
find errata for).

On Jan 12, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Iruata Souza wrote:

> I don't know why people cant come here complain about this, but the
> site is down *again*.
> It has been very unstable for some days now.
>
> {plan9,cm}.bell-labs.com returns Object not Found.
>
> thanks for the attention,
> iru

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 17:39         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-01-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 12, 2008 5:45 AM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know why people cant come here complain about this, but the
> site is down *again*.

it's simple. Do you help support it? Do you contribute money to keep
it going? Do you send them hardware to help them in some way?

People have every right to complain when they pay for something and
don't get it.

They have no right to complain when something which is free is not
there when they want it.

It's a lot of work to maintain the site, the networks, and the
machines that go with it. No one is paid to do it -- it is done as a
service to us. Rather than complain when it is not there, we should
thank those who make it work when it is there.

So, yes, you might politely *ask* why the site is down, or if anyone
has any information. But to *complain* about it is to step over the
line.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 17:52           ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-01-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/12/08, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008 5:45 AM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know why people cant come here complain about this, but the
> > site is down *again*.
>
> it's simple. Do you help support it? Do you contribute money to keep
> it going? Do you send them hardware to help them in some way?
>
> People have every right to complain when they pay for something and
> don't get it.
>
> They have no right to complain when something which is free is not
> there when they want it.
>
> It's a lot of work to maintain the site, the networks, and the
> machines that go with it. No one is paid to do it -- it is done as a
> service to us. Rather than complain when it is not there, we should
> thank those who make it work when it is there.

If they paid me, I could help. And I thank who maintains it.

> So, yes, you might politely *ask* why the site is down, or if anyone
> has any information. But to *complain* about it is to step over the
> line.

I just would like people to say if the site is down for them or not.
Since if I'm one of the few noting that kind of stuff publicly, it
seems that it's down only for that few people.
I don't really see the point in that discussion, ron. It's just a
matter of statistics to me.
Sorry if I bother talking about the downtime and if I offended someone.

thanks,
iru

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 17:59           ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-01-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/12/08, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, yes, you might politely *ask* why the site is down, or if anyone
> has any information. But to *complain* about it is to step over the
> line.

People can complain about everything they want to
People are free to accept or not the complaining in the same manner
they are free to accept or not answering questions.

iru

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 18:17             ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-12 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 12, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:

> If they paid me, I could help. And I thank who maintains it.
Who does so?

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 18:40             ` Gary Wright
From: Gary Wright @ 2008-01-12 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 12, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
> Since if I'm one of the few noting that kind of stuff publicly, it
> seems that it's down only for that few people.

I see the site down frequently (once or twice a week maybe).

I'd consider a donation, but wasn't aware that was even a possibility.

I am curious though.  There is clearly a recurring problem.  Is it
hardware, software, or undiagnosed?

Gary Wright

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 19:04               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-01-12 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just would like people to say if the site is down for them or not.

If you can't connect to plan9.bell-labs.com but you
can connect to, say, sources.cs.bell-labs.com
or even plain old www.bell-labs.com, then it's
exceedingly unlikely that the problem is on your end.
If you were really worried about that possibility,
you could log into a machine somewhere else in
the world (the Japan Plan 9 machines, for example)
and try connecting  from there.

Whichever end has the connectivity problem, it doesn't
contribute anything to the quality of 9fans traffic
for a half dozen people to post "gee, it doesn't work
for me right now either".  If you want to bring the problem to
someone's attention, this is one of the few situations in
which it makes sense to mail 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com
instead of posting to 9fans.  (Even if the machine
plan9.bell-labs.com is down, mail to 9trouble will still
arrive at Bell Labs via a different mail server.)

> I am curious though.  There is clearly a recurring problem.  Is it
> hardware, software, or undiagnosed?

Most often it is simply unnoticed.  The machine that serves
as the plan9.bell-labs.com web server does little else these
days, so if (for whatever reason) it stops, it can take a while
before anyone at Bell Labs notices.  All the more reason
to send mail to 9trouble (and not 9fans).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 19:24                 ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-01-12 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/12/08, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > I am curious though.  There is clearly a recurring problem.  Is it
> > hardware, software, or undiagnosed?
>
> Most often it is simply unnoticed.  The machine that serves
> as the plan9.bell-labs.com web server does little else these
> days, so if (for whatever reason) it stops, it can take a while
> before anyone at Bell Labs notices.  All the more reason
> to send mail to 9trouble (and not 9fans).

so you confirm the reason why I sent these mails: it seems to be unnoticed.
now the problem resumes to where to send the notice; if 9trouble is a
better place, I'll mail there instead.

iru

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 20:41               ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2008-01-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gary Wright wrote:

> I'd consider a donation, but wasn't aware that was even a possibility.

Open source projects with budgetary issues often discover that asking for a donation, and making it convenient to do so,
can change things quickly. If I saw a PayPal donation button on the site I'd click it.

--
Wes Kussmaul
CIO

781-647-7178

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify attorney Mort Hapless at Vulner, Exposed & Wideopen LLP immediately at either (781) 647-7178, or at
ohoh@vulex.com, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. No, really. Really. Listen, we mean it! Hey,
if you don’t stop reading that confidential stuff about our client you’re in big trouble. OK, we’re the ones in trouble
but we’ll find a way to go after you, or at least we think we may be able to. Look, we’re begging you. Just click the
delete button and move on to a message that concerns you, OK? Please?? We'll buy you lunch...

Identity is the Foundation of Security™. Let Authentrus (authentrus.com) ensure that only intended recipients receive
your confidential messages.

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-13 18:55 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2008-01-13 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

i set up a sources mirror on sirviente.9grid.es

% import tcp!sirviente.9grid.es!17666 / /n/essources

should give you a read-only copy of the local /dist/sources

The iso will be mirrored when available :).

http://sirviente.9grid.es/ for the http interface.

any comments about the setup welcome.

slds.

gabi

On Jan 12, 2008, at 10:19 PM, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Murray Hill suffered a power oddity, I think a spike, on January 1st
> that caused a several-hour-long outage and seems to have caused
> miscellaneous other damage.  We've had strange network problems since.
> Friday was the first day that things were more-or-less back to normal,
> at least from an external perspective.
>
> Much of the content of cm.bell-labs.com, notably /cm, is served to the
> outside through a small set of machines, all of which have been
> replaced in the last few days.  In particular, plan9.bell-labs.com now
> has much more RAM, so we shouldn't need to restart the wiki as often.
>
> We usually notice problems with the outside machines fairly soon (more
> so on weekdays), though fixing them sometimes takes a while, depending
> upon the problem.

* Re: [9fans] site is down?
@ 2008-01-12 21:19 geoff