* [9fans] cin is in
@ 2008-09-13  4:11 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-09-13  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.

It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
Lotsa cool stuff.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=107172.107190&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

brucee

* Re: [9fans] cin is in
@ 2008-09-13  6:45 ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-09-13  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.
>
> It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
> Lotsa cool stuff.
>
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=107172.107190&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

I couldn't find the source to CIN but I did find cint.

http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT

It complied and ran on my mac no problem.  My examination of it was
cursory though.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] cin is in
@ 2008-09-13 17:44   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-09-13 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Michaelian Ennis
<michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.
>>
>> It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
>> Lotsa cool stuff.
>>
>> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=107172.107190&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE
>
> I couldn't find the source to CIN but I did find cint.
>
> http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT
>
> It complied and ran on my mac no problem.  My examination of it was
> cursory though.

I used CINT only together with ROOT and personally felt using C++ as a
interpreted language a little weird; no technical remarks here, only
personal ones, tho.

Anyway, as far as I could tell, people I know who work with ROOT on a
more daily basis write the programs as usually they do with C++ the
only difference being that they aren't compiled. They don't seem to
use the interpreter as much as programmers from other languages
considered as interpreted do.

iru

* Re: [9fans] cin is in
@ 2008-09-13 22:52     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-09-13 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

CINT has nothing to do with cin.  There is a good paper on cin in the
9th Edition docs.

It went on to become vice, which has an X interface, or samuel, which
has a sam interface.

CINT looks pretty sucky.

brucee

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Michaelian Ennis
> <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.
>>>
>>> It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
>>> Lotsa cool stuff.
>>>
>>> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=107172.107190&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE
>>
>> I couldn't find the source to CIN but I did find cint.
>>
>> http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT
>>
>> It complied and ran on my mac no problem.  My examination of it was
>> cursory though.
>>

> I used CINT only together with ROOT and personally felt using C++ as a
> interpreted language a little weird; no technical remarks here, only
> personal ones, tho.
>
> Anyway, as far as I could tell, people I know who work with ROOT on a
> more daily basis write the programs as usually they do with C++ the
> only difference being that they aren't compiled. They don't seem to
> use the interpreter as much as programmers from other languages
> considered as interpreted do.
>
> iru

* Re: [9fans] cin is in
@ 2008-09-14  2:45       ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-09-14  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> CINT has nothing to do with cin.  There is a good paper on cin in the
> 9th Edition docs.
>
> It went on to become vice, which has an X interface, or samuel, which
> has a sam interface.
>
> CINT looks pretty sucky.

your eyes are still precise, bruce. it sucks for sure.

iru