* Re: [9fans] laptop sound
@ 2003-02-11  1:50 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-11  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I had a look at that family of sound chips at one point
> (it's a CS####) and all the drivers I found were very
> complicated.

I tried to do such in the last new year holidays, however, I was
knocked down by heavy influenza and lost my time.

Anyway, there are two major tasks, one is sound card chip proper
and the other is that we have only ISA sound card example in our
distribution.   As you know, all the present soundcard is for PCI bus,
and some mechanism to identify itself will be neccessary.   Therefore,
as Dan said before, we need to move the codes of soundcard from
port to pc directory.   So, it is not so easy process to port soundcard
drivers, I suppose.  If you make one such example, I suppose many
will follow you, and enrich the sound world for Plan 9 in addition
to USB ports.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] laptop sound
@ 2003-02-10 13:37     ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-02-10 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On that note, admitting our failure at sound, I'ld like to put in a plug
for the 'xitel hifi-link dg2'.  It's a USB device that has optical out.
I use it with a 10 meter fiber to drive my stereo.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1895 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] laptop sound
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:06:11 -0500

I had a look at that family of sound chips at one point
(it's a CS####) and all the drivers I found were very
complicated.  It's a shame the SB8 is what everyone is
backward compatible with rather than the 16.  It seems
there are very few sound cards anymore that let you just
play sound without requiring you to set up oodles and oodles
of extra stuff.

At the moment I think the best way to get sound is to use
a USB audio adapter (they may be complicated, but they're
standard, and we have a driver), though on the 600E that
may not be an option.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] laptop sound
@ 2003-02-10 12:06   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-10 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-02-10  8:22 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-02-10  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

One way to do the port is to look first at the Plan 9
driver (eg for the sb), then import code from the driver
you have as you see it fits. Good luck.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1545 bytes --]

From: Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] laptop sound
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:08:53 -0500 (EST)

Anyone have any luck getting sound working on a laptop?

I have a TP 600E I'ld like to have the sound working on.
Supposing I can dig (and clean) up a linux driver for the
chip, can anyone provide tips for porting the driver to 9?

Cheers,

Sam

* [9fans] laptop sound
@ 2003-02-10  2:08 Sam