* [9fans] irc answers - qemu, inferno less, and a bonus
@ 2005-12-07 13:03 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-12-07 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    izaki     Hello!
              Has anyone been able to run Plan9 on qemu?

    digijohn  Yes
              I was, however, unable to get online with it from qemu

    sretzki   yeah, networking is not one of qemus strengths

    digijohn  Nor is configuring the network one of Plan 9's :-)

    sretzki   you get some IP from an undocumented dhcp, but it does
              not work, right, digijohn?

I use this in /etc/qemu-ifup on Linux:

    ; cat /etc/qemu-ifup
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo -p "Password for $0:" /sbin/ifconfig $1 172.20.0.1
    sudo ipmasq
    sudo killall -9 udhcpd
    sudo udhcpd
    ;

and then configure the Plan 9 network with the usual ip/ipconfig.
One can even run u9fs and then boot using that as the root file
system, which is great for testing.  When I was doing the x86 mmu
code I built the kernels under Linux (compilers just build under
plan9port; kernel mkfiles needed slight tweaking since / wasn't
the Plan 9 root) and then tested by booting in qemu (or bochs,
if things were very broken).

    AshyIsMe  hello
              does inferno have a less equivalent?
              "man something" is kinda annoying when it just all
              scrolls by

    digijohn  Hey guys, I'm setting up my Plan 9 disk (6 GB), and
              I need to know how much should go for fossil and how
              much for venti

    fgb       yes
              AshyIsMe, wm/man

    AshyIsMe  k

On Inferno, like Plan 9, the equivalent of less (nee more) is "p".
(Wm/man is definitely better for this particular case.)

    uriel     god, they use two spaces in google? now that is the
              ultimate confirmation that they are morons.

I think this speaks for itself, in many ways.

Russ