* [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-17 10:12 Siddharth Prakash Singh
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Siddharth Prakash Singh @ 2008-11-17 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I want to port some program or driver to Plan9 which is challenging as
well as important for Plan9. Please suggest me .

Is any JVM ported to Plan9? or Firefox? or any other suggestions

Anticipating replies.
Regards
Siddharth

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-17 10:26 ` Rodolfo kix García
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rodolfo kix García  @ 2008-11-17 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Really, do you read your messages?

http://9fans.net/archive/2008/11/35

????

--
Rodolfo García AKA kix
http://www.kix.es/

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-17 10:49 ` Roman Zhukov
From: Roman Zhukov @ 2008-11-17 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I suggest you to invent something new instead of porting.

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-17 13:18 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-17 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it would be nice to take the existing usb code -- which is all user
mode code -- and get hot plug working,such that I could pop
mice,keyboards, disks, etc in at will and have the right bits all
start/stop when such events happen.

I think this is a good project as it is self-contained, a good intro,
and something that plan 9 does not do well right now (hot plug)

ron

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-17 14:13 ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2008-11-17 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if i were you, i'd start with something simple first, to
find my way round the system.  it's probably also not a bad
idea, as someone else suggested, to write a few small programs
for plan 9 itself, just to see the differences.  write a silly
concurrent program using thread(2), for instance, and perhaps a
little file server; but don't start writing your own until
you've read some of the existing ones.

for porting, both examples you've suggested are somewhat bigger than huge,
and perhaps not good things to try first.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2050 bytes --]

From: Siddharth Prakash Singh <spsneo@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:12:29 GMT

@ 2008-11-04  0:21         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-04  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> in particular, i'd like to be able to use factotum to hold my keys.
>
> btw, i recently added a 2k rsa key for ssh to my secstore. now
> my factotum (in 9vx on OS X) periodically crashes. when it
> happens, it's always after i ssh using the key. anyone seen
> anything similar, or alternately have success with 2k rsa keys
> in ssh v1 via factotum?

this isn't your bug, but in a similar vein i submitted a patch
to factotum for reading such a key from the ctl file.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-03 21:17       ` a
From: a @ 2008-11-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-11-03 20:29     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> There is a TODO page on the wiki which might give you some ideas.
>>
>> The two pieces of unfinished business that spring to my mind
>> are the Centrino driver and the ssh V2 client, both started by
>> Russ.
>
> contrib/install fgb/openssh

i wasn't able to get it to work very well.  a solid native implementation
would still be worthwhile.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-03 20:24   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-03 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> There is a TODO page on the wiki which might give you some ideas.
>
> The two pieces of unfinished business that spring to my mind
> are the Centrino driver and the ssh V2 client, both started by
> Russ.

contrib/install fgb/openssh

ron

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-03 19:40 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-11-03 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a TODO page on the wiki which might give you some ideas.

The two pieces of unfinished business that spring to my mind
are the Centrino driver and the ssh V2 client, both started by
Russ.

These have the advantage of being started by a very talented
programmer so you could learn from the existing code as well
as building on the structure to produce somthing useful.

Just my 2¢ worth.

-Steve

@ 2008-11-03 12:15 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-03 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hi all,
>
> I want to port some program or driver to plan9 which has not been
> ported yet and is of high priority.
> Please suggest me !

how about ati driver with decent hw acceleration?  the documents
can be found on this page
http://developer.amd.com/documentation/guides/Pages/default.aspx

- erik

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-03 12:09 ` Yoshi Rokuko
From: Yoshi Rokuko @ 2008-11-03 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> hi all,
>
> I want to port some program or driver to plan9 which has not been
> ported yet and is of high priority.
> Please suggest me !
>
> Thanks

how about a device driver for Atheros-based Wireless LAN devices like madwifi

http://madwifi.org

;-)

y0shi

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-03 11:39 ` Robert Raschke
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Raschke @ 2008-11-03 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Siddharth Prakash Singh
<spsneo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to port some program or driver to plan9 which has not been
> ported yet and is of high priority.
> Please suggest me !

I think support for more wireless network cards was mentioned in the past.

Or perhaps better support for graphics/network support under recent
virtual environments: VMware, Sun Virtual Box, MS Virtual Server.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-03 11:19 ` Pietro Gagliardi
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-03 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* [9fans] I want to port some program or driver
@ 2008-11-03 10:14 Siddharth Prakash Singh
                   ` (4 more replies)