* [9fans] MMIXWare Plan 9
@ 2009-03-09 14:35 xiantingmanbu
From: xiantingmanbu @ 2009-03-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How to port MMIXWare into Plan 9?  Has anyone done it?

* Re: [9fans] MMIXWare Plan 9
@ 2009-03-09 17:16 ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2009-03-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 14:35, xiantingmanbu <xiantingmanbu@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to port MMIXWare into Plan 9?  Has anyone done it?

 Porting wouldn't be hard. I don't remember the code right now (will
look into it when I get home) but probably the only thing you would
have to change would be mmap() to segattach(), or even simple
malloc()-style allocation. Knuth is rather old fashioned, so it might
actually work out of the box with APE, and with little changes with
native libs.
--
Paweł Lasek
On #lisp@freenode.net

* Re: [9fans] MMIXWare Plan 9
@ 2009-03-09 19:57   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-03-09 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i'm not sure whether the MMIX stuff was a fresh effort or an extension
of the MIX code, but it might be worth noting that someone (Charles, i
think) ported MIX years ago. perhaps a useful starting point.

@ 2009-03-09 20:12     ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-03-09 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Anthony Sorace <anothy@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm not sure whether the MMIX stuff was a fresh effort or an extension

MMIX is totally new, a more modern, RISC-y assembly language. Knuth
worked with Hennessy on it, and it shows (not in a bad way, of
course). AFAIK it's all new code since it's so drastically different.

@ 2009-03-10  3:08 ` Lee Duhem
From: Lee Duhem @ 2009-03-10  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/3/9 xiantingmanbu <xiantingmanbu@gmail.com>:
> How to port MMIXWare into Plan 9?  Has anyone done it?

I have doen it before, but now it's a little out-dated:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/lee/mmix-20060918.tgz

lee