* [9fans] fossil+venti boot problems
@ 2004-03-15 10:16 plan9fans
From: plan9fans @ 2004-03-15 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

Still failing to get my fossil to come up as a standalone
fossil/venti/auth server (NB I'am using several SCSI disks).

I had indeed tried to start venti with 9pcf
which caused the "panic boot 7". I compiled
9pccpuf and used that; now I get a "panic boot 1",
though only after a (roughly) 10 second delay.
Unfortunately the stack backtrace scrolls any messages
off the screen - I will try with a serial console tonight.

I added ip/ipconfig lines for ether card and loopback
to cpurc, though on reflection this is silly
(its way too late by then).

Looking at the source I reckon the kernel only tries
to start ethernet if opening the disk given by venti= fails.

My guess (only a guess)

I wonder if I am still suffering from non-existant partitions?
IE the partitions have not been read from the disk and written to
the kernel yet, thus my venti=#S/sd06/arenas points to a device-file
which doesn't exist.

When opening this file fails the kernel tries to contact venti via
ether, and fails to get an ethernet address via DHCP (I have no DHC
server), and then gives up and panics.

Anyone?

-Steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-03-15 10:16 UTC | newest]