* [9fans] problems when hwaccel off or in inferno
@ 2009-09-06 18:36 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-09-06 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask whether anyone encountered problems when one turns off
the hardware acceleration with
cat hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl

When I do it, my mouse leaves some garbage at some points, or, e.g. I
can't nicely select text with the mouse---there are some pieces
missing.

I found similar problems first in Inferno on plan9 (with hwaccel on in
underlying plan9). When I run it (wm/wm) and e.g. try to close some
window, a small rectangle is sometimes left over after mouse.

When I turn the acceleration off in plan9, I see such problems even in
plan9 itself.

Has anyone any comments on this?
(I'd like to try inferno, but this is annoying.)

I play with HP Omnibook XE3 (some people wanted to chuck it out),I
believe there is an Intel 830M integrated graphic card.
cat /dev/vgactl says I use vesa.

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] problems when hwaccel off or in inferno
@ 2009-09-06 23:28 ` SHRIZZA
From: SHRIZZA @ 2009-09-06 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'd like to ask whether anyone encountered problems when one turns off
> the hardware acceleration with
> cat hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl

Of course, you mean "echo -n hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl", right?

* Re: [9fans] problems when hwaccel off or in inferno
@ 2009-09-07  6:41   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-09-07  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/9/7 SHRIZZA <shrizza@gmail.com>:
>> I'd like to ask whether anyone encountered problems when one turns off
>> the hardware acceleration with
>> cat hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl
>
> Of course, you mean "echo -n hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl", right?

yes, 'echo', not 'cat', actually
echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl

* Re: [9fans] problems when hwaccel off or in inferno
@ 2009-09-07  9:09 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-09-07  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there's a bug in the control of the software cursor in plan 9,
probably when loadimage is used. it can leave what my children call chicken tracks,
as it updates the cursor. it shows up in at least vnc and inferno because they use the equivalent of
loadimage on the screen to update their displays.

* Re: [9fans] problems when hwaccel off or in inferno
@ 2009-09-07 12:54   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-09-07 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So is it so that anybody using vesa should see it in plan9 when
hwaccel is off or when inferno runs on plan9 regardless the state of
hwaccel?
(At school I use i81x and plan9 itself is ok with both on/off.)

Thanks
Ruda

@ 2009-09-07 16:17     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-09-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So is it so that anybody using vesa should see it...

I use the vesa driver occasionally on my Atom motherboard
(Intel 940?) and have had no such "droppings", so the
problem isn't universal.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] problems when hwaccel off or in inferno
@ 2009-09-07 16:41       ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2009-09-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i have seen this problem many times in inferno on plan9.