* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-01 23:37 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-11-01 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are you counting only current products and services, or are you
including ones from the past?  PathStar is long dead and buried.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-02 14:08 ` FODEMESI Gergely
From: FODEMESI Gergely @ 2002-11-02 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 759 bytes --]

Not really based on plan9, but the idea is based(?) on venti or something
like venti: www.avamar.com. Though I haven't seen any credits to any of
the original authors.
$175.000 for an enterprise sized backup appliance...

@ 2002-11-02  2:37 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-11-02  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

PathStar was killed after some had been sold.  The dot-com bubble
burst and many of the customers couldn't pay their bills, and some
people thought that there weren't going to be many new customers.
There was also political maneuvering by competing groups within the
company.  I forget the exact timing; I think PathStar was cancelled in
late 2000; certainly no later than March 2001.

I thought PathStar was Lucent's last hope, but apparently management
thought that people are going to buy 7R/Es (the follow-on to the
5ESS).  If they couldn't afford PathStars, which were relatively
inexpensive, they certainly won't be able to afford 7R/Es (except
perhaps used, on ebay, where I see various 5ESS components).

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-01 22:35 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-01 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Are you counting only current products and services, or are you
> including ones from the past?  PathStar is long dead and buried.

Hopefully it would be a list of successful or in proof stage ideas.

Can you say if it was stillborn, killed or irrelevant (no market)?

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-01 22:18 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-11-01 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, joew, hell

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1670 bytes --]

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> I am compiling a list of existing (or announced) products, services
> and solutions that are based, literally or conceptually, on Plan9 (or
> Inferno).
>
> Here is a start:
>
> - Lucent's VPN Firewall Brick
> - Lucent's (NOT Datang Telecom Tech's ☺) PathStart Access Server
> - Vita Nuova's Inferno and Plan9 packages
> - AmericanVOD (www.americanvod.com)  (??? not much info on this)
> - nCUBE VOD Server (I think it is based on 2/ed)
>
> Are there others?

I'm not sure, but possibly. I'm involved in starting a company built
around various sorts of 24/365 on-call and contract IT and programming
services built around Open Technology. Plan 9 and Inferno will feature
in that to a significant degree. The company is In Silica, LLC. Though
it will operate under a DBA (Open Forge). The Hangar 18 project is only
one of the things we've got going. Our focus is on reliable distributed
computing, global sign on, business informatics & automation. If all
went well the paperwork hit the state's desk this afternoon. Should be
in business (technically) sometime next week.

If you would like more details please contact me directly.

    We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  jchoate@open-forge.org
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org

* [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-01 17:25 Skip Tavakkolian