* [9fans] Re: [inferno-list] Inferno's mk copy on Mac OS X vs Plan 9 from User Space
       [not found] <df986f060e642327ec9c49e00b8e2fca@terzarima.net>
@ 2006-04-12  1:15 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-04-12  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, inferno-list

> i'm fairly sure now that it's a difference between bash and other sh in handling -e,

i'm certain: (command-list) doesn't cause bash to exit if the list returns an error
(even though the subsequent $? is indeed non-zero).  still, i see that
bash has a great many pages of other things to do.

* Re: [9fans] Re: [inferno-list] Inferno's mk copy on Mac OS X vs Plan 9 from User Space
@ 2006-04-12 20:34   ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2006-04-12 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: inferno-list

> i'm fairly sure now that it's a difference between bash and other sh in handling -e,

http://code.dogmap.org/lintsh/ is a scary but useful list of such
incompatibilities for those condemned to deal with /bin/sh variants

* Re: [9fans] Re: [inferno-list] Inferno's mk copy on Mac OS X vs Plan 9 from User Space
@ 2006-04-12  1:21 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-12  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think that p9p mk uses /bin/sh to execute commands for bootstrapping reasons
(it's rather difficult to mk rc with mk using rc for a command interpreter.)
but otherwise it would be nice if mk used rc.

p9p is faithful enough to plan 9 that often changing the mkfile is the most difficult
part of porting something from plan 9 to p9p.

- erik

@ 2006-04-12  0:35 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-04-12  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, inferno-list

> The mk that comes with Inferno "fails to fail" when building Inferno
> sources on my Intel Mac on Mac OS X.  The mk in Plan 9 from User Space
> doesn't appear to have this problem.

i'm fairly sure now that it's a difference between bash and other sh in handling -e,
that being the main environmental difference between systems on which a
little test mkfile fails (sh is bash) and those on which it works (sh is not bash, as on FreeBSD).