* [9fans] lost files
@ 2005-04-06  9:53 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2005-04-06  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I have been annoyed by some lost files and dirs.
This is partly because of poor environment of my system
and partly because of my carelessness.
Yes, my system was halt without sync.

I have seen some types of corruption.
1. 0 byte files that should have contents.
2. ls shows names but the entity was lost.
I desire I can automatically detect these type of corruption.

I encountered today more curious one.
3. stat call to a corrupted directory makes the process freeze.
I dislike to make processes freeze because they are accumulated.
Error return is desirable.
(sorry if this is already fixed)

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] lost files
@ 2005-04-06 14:06 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have been annoyed by some lost files and dirs.
> This is partly because of poor environment of my system
> and partly because of my carelessness.
> Yes, my system was halt without sync.

That shouldn't matter.  The halt command
does a sync too.

> I have seen some types of corruption.
> 1. 0 byte files that should have contents.
> 2. ls shows names but the entity was lost.
> I desire I can automatically detect these type of corruption.

Are you using Venti?  The data should still be
in the dumps at least.

> I encountered today more curious one.
> 3. stat call to a corrupted directory makes the process freeze.
> I dislike to make processes freeze because they are accumulated.
> Error return is desirable.
> (sorry if this is already fixed)

Are there any broken fossil processes
(ps|grep Broke on the file server machine)?
If so, please run

   acid pid /386/bin/fossil/fossil
   stk()

Thanks.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] lost files
@ 2005-04-06 15:30   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2005-04-06 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Russ,

>> Yes, my system was halt without sync.
>
> That shouldn't matter.  The halt command
> does a sync too.

Oh I should say: "switched off".
Because of interruption of electric service
or  because file server turned into uncontrollable state
or because of my fault.

>> I desire I can automatically detect these type of corruption.
>
> Are you using Venti?  The data should still be
> in the dumps at least.
Yes I am using venti, and I am fixing these file using venti.
I think venti is really useful.
But I don't aware the existence of corrupted files.
These files can make a serious problem on:
system stability , system service, system security and so on.

> Are there any broken fossil processes
> (ps|grep Broke on the file server machine)?
> If so, please run
>
>    acid pid /386/bin/fossil/fossil
>    stk()

Thank you, Russ. I will try in next chance.
But I believe there were no broken fossil processes.

Now it seems my system is running steady...

Kenji Arisawa