* [9fans] cpu server to vmware auth server ... so close ....
@ 2003-04-15 18:47 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-15 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First, I'm using the linux dhcpd. The hardware is on 10.0.4.x net on eth0,
vmnet8 is 172.16.189.x.

The auth server is vmware host 172.16.189.132. The cpu server needs to be
172.16.189.133.

- route add 172.16.189.133 dev eth
  set up the route
- in dhdpd.conf on linux, set up a shared-network 'net', containing
  subnets 172.16.189.x and serving 172.16.189.133, and subnets
  10.0.4.1. This allows dhcpd on linux to server 172.16.189.x addresses
  on eth0.
- arp -s 172.16.189.133 <ethernet address of CPU server)
  This is needed as at some point dhcpd on linux ARPs the cpu server
  and 9load doesn't respond to arps. Interesting ...

at this point, the cpu server comes up, downloads a plan 9 kernel, and the
kernel comes up on the cpu server!

In fact all works well until ....

the cpu server arps the auth server. I can't get the arp from the cpu
server at .133 to be satisfied. I tried this:
arp -s -i eth0 172.16.189.132 <ethernet address of auth server>
but no dice.

Any clever ideas out there?

ron
p.s. on other option is to leave the cpu server with a 10. address and
hand-add a route into the auth server for that address. Anybody done hand
route stuff on Plan 9?

ron

* Re: [9fans] cpu server to vmware auth server ... so close ....
@ 2003-04-15 19:53 ` rsc
From: rsc @ 2003-04-15 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you've got the cpu and the auth server both
on the same vmware network, you should
be able to use the default configs with
no help from the linux dhcpd.

* Re: [9fans] cpu server to vmware auth server ... so close ....
@ 2003-04-15 20:33   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> if you've got the cpu and the auth server both
> on the same vmware network, you should
> be able to use the default configs with
> no help from the linux dhcpd.

the cpu server is on a different network. It is not vmware. It is on eth0.

Anyway I'm working it.

@ 2003-04-15 21:23     ` rsc
From: rsc @ 2003-04-15 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the cpu server is on a different network. It is not vmware. It is on eth0.

your last email said it was on the vmware network.
you can edit the plan 9 routing table by echoing
to /net/iproute.  but i don't think that will accomplish
anything useful.  it seems like your problem is that
the cpu server can't find the auth server during boot,
not the other way around.

the whole point of a nat is usually to hide the
natted network.  you're trying to break that,
and it's (unsurprisingly) difficult.