* [9fans] nice appearance to Times font with accented characters (in acme)?
@ 2009-09-29  4:50 Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-09-29  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My try (times/latin1.7a.font) could be improved.  It does actually
display accented characters (from pelm/latin1.8) interspersed with
unaccented letters in the Times font.  But it's a bit like a ransom
note, or the Cyrillic font I designed and poked into my C64 in middle
school: the baseline of the accented characters is a pixel or two
higher than the baseline of times letters.  Is this about as good as I
can expect, or could anyone suggest a better composition?

17	12
0x0000	0x0001	../lucsans/lsr.12
0x0001	0x009F 1	R.7.1
0x00A0	0x00FF 0xA0	../pelm/latin1.8
0x0100	0x017E	../pelm/latineur.8
0x0250	0x02E9	../misc/ipa.8
0x0370	0x03F5	../misc/greek.8
0x0400	0x0475	../misc/cyrillic.9
0x2000	0x2044	../misc/genpunc.8
0x2070	0x208E	../pelm/supsub.8
0x20A0	0x20AC	../pelm/currency.9
0x2190	0x21EA	../misc/arrows
0x2200	0x227F	../misc/math1
0x2280	0x22F1	../misc/math2
0x2300	0x232C	../misc/tech
0x2500	0x257F	../misc/chart
0x2600	0x266F	../misc/ding
0x2700	0x27BF	../misc/zapf
0xfee0	0xff5e	../pelm/latin1.8
0xFFFD 0xFFFD 0x80 ../pelm/latin1.8

I'd like to keep using Times since I think the letter-forms look
better than the default Lucida (there's no "bit" directory, so which
file actually defines the default euro.8.font plan9port-acme uses?),
but are not so small as palatino/latin1.6.font (7 & 8 get clipped).

Jason Catena

* Re: [9fans] nice appearance to Times font with accented characters (in acme)?
@ 2009-09-29 15:18 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-09-29 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> better than the default Lucida (there's no "bit" directory, so which
> file actually defines the default euro.8.font plan9port-acme uses?),

The default fonts are

roro=; cd $PLAN9/src/cmd/acme
roro=; g /lib/font
acme.c:41: 	"/lib/font/bit/lucsans/euro.8.font",
acme.c:42: 	"/lib/font/bit/lucm/unicode.9.font"
roro=;

As a compatibility hack, the plan9port graphics code
knows to translate a path beginning with /lib/font/bit
into one that begins $PLAN9/font.

If you are using OS X, you can take advantage of the
font server, which synthesizes Plan 9 font bitmaps using the
native fonts.  See http://swtch.com/~rsc/acme-font.html

If you are using X11, you could do the same but first
you'd have to implement the X11 support in
$PLAN9/src/cmd/fontsrv.

Russ