* [9fans] troff connected problem, blanks instead of letters
@ 2010-03-04 18:55 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-04 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

in plan9port I format my text with

9 pic graph.ms | 9 eqn | 9 troff -ms | 9 tr2post | 9 psfonts > graph.ps

My problem is that for some reason I can't typeset letters like \(dd,
\(dg, \(em, and others.
I usually get a blank space in the resulting postscript (but e.g.
instead of \(dd I got '!' if I remember it right).

Can you tell me what to do?
Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] troff connected problem, blanks instead of letters
@ 2010-03-05  3:36 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2010-03-05  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> in plan9port I format my text with
>
> 9 pic graph.ms | 9 eqn | 9 troff -ms | 9 tr2post | 9 psfonts > graph.ps
>
> My problem is that for some reason I can't typeset letters like \(dd,
> \(dg, \(em, and others.
> I usually get a blank space in the resulting postscript (but e.g.
> instead of \(dd I got '!' if I remember it right).
>
> Can you tell me what to do?

Those symbols come from Lucida Sans Unicode.
Plan9port's $PLAN9/postscript/font does not have all the fonts
you'd find in Plan 9's /sys/lib/postscript/font, because the licensing
terms for those fonts allow them to be distributed only with the
Plan 9 operating system.  That said, if somehow the contents of
/sys/lib/postscript/font ended up in $PLAN9/postscript/font,
troff and psfonts might not have missing characters.

A better alternative for these particular characters would be
to change the troff map files so that it uses those characters
from the current font instead of from Lucida.  (Times has its
own versions of those, but troff isn't set up to use them.)

Russ