* Re: [9fans] /sys/lib/mothra
@ 2002-07-15 11:05 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-07-15 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have been looking for Mothra (which is the native Plan 9 web browser
> from 2nd Ed.) since I learned of it some time ago, and screaming for
> the Bell-labs guys to release it.

They've released it:  look in /contrib/mothra on sources.cs.bell-labs.com

Be aware, though, that this is a very old and simple browser with no support
for many "features" like tables, frames, cookies, and client-side scripting.
I personally find this is often an advantage rather than a limitation, because
it eliminates much of the distracting "entertainment" and advertising clutter.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] /sys/lib/mothra
@ 2002-07-18  9:51 ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2002-07-18  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk (Richard Miller) wrote in message news:<20020715110522.555A319A0D@mail.cse.psu.edu>...
> > I have been looking for Mothra (which is the native Plan 9 web browser
> > from 2nd Ed.) since I learned of it some time ago, and screaming for
> > the Bell-labs guys to release it.
>
> They've released it:  look in /contrib/mothra on sources.cs.bell-labs.com
>
> Be aware, though, that this is a very old and simple browser with no support
> for many "features" like tables, frames, cookies, and client-side scripting.
> I personally find this is often an advantage rather than a limitation, because
> it eliminates much of the distracting "entertainment" and advertising clutter.
>
> -- Richard

Is there any way to access sources.cs.bell-labs.com from the web or
ftp?  I know about the update account stuff, but still can't dial out
from my Plan 9 box because of my stupid WinModem.  So for now, I'm
stuck using Windoze to access the net.  Thanks for the pointer!

* Re: [9fans] /sys/lib/mothra
@ 2002-07-29 15:58 ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2002-07-29 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk (Richard Miller) wrote in message news:<20020718125735.3B29D1998C@mail.cse.psu.edu>...
> Sorry, I think it's been deliberately set up as an importable file system
> to be a showcase of the 4th edition Plan 9 security mechanisms.
>
> -- Richard

Is there some way I could use drawterm-win?  If not, would you be so
kind as to e-mail the sources to me?  Or is that illegal?  (Yes, I
have 3rd & 4th edition licenses, if that means anything!)  Thanks
much!

Ben

* Re: [9fans] /sys/lib/mothra
@ 2002-07-18 12:57 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-07-18 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-15  9:30 ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2002-07-15  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es (Fco.J.Ballesteros) wrote in message news:<af25106ded4ef4154146b02e9ec180d0@plan9.escet.urjc.es>...
> Files there seem to be missing from sources, as well as the
> man page if there was any. Could some kind sould give me a copy of
> this?
>
> thanks

I have been looking for Mothra (which is the native Plan 9 web browser
from 2nd Ed.) since I learned of it some time ago, and screaming for
the Bell-labs guys to release it.  What I've learned is that it is
still covered by the 2nd Edition license, so not everyone can pass it
around.  I found someone who has a version modified to run under 4th
Ed., and is willing to send the code, etc., to anyone who can prove
they have a 2nd Ed. license.  Unfortunately, I don't, or I'd be using
it right now...

for the stuff, contact:

Richard Miller
miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk

I don't know how one would prove they have a 2nd Ed. license,
though...  (Know how one would get one today?)

* [9fans] /sys/lib/mothra
@ 2002-07-12  7:57 Fco.J.Ballesteros