* Re: [9fans] drawterm-macosx problem...
@ 2004-07-01 17:59 Ben Huntsman
From: Ben Huntsman @ 2004-07-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In the past, didn't one have to recompile drawterm to use their servers instead of Bell Labs'?

>>> Enrique Soriano<esoriano@gsyc.escet.urjc.es> 7/1/2004 2:38:51 AM >>>

> >> When I type my username, the term says:
> >>
> >>         "not a local console; won't ask for password"
> >
> > sounds like an old hack that was in passwd(1) to
> > stop idiots changing their password on cpu servers.
> >
> > [allowing this would xmit your passwords(s) in the clear]
>
> lunix drawterm checks whether $DISPLAY is 'host:#' or just ':#' and
> decides whether it should prompt for a password or not.
>
> no idea whether there's a difference in OSX

That was the problem... in my MacOSX
console $DISPLAY was set to '0:0'

If I set it to ':0.0', then drawterm works
well.

Now I understand why it worked ok on
a xterm and not in a mac console...

Thanks!!!

Q.

* Re: [9fans] drawterm-macosx problem...
@ 2004-07-01 18:34 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-07-01 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In the past, didn't one have to recompile drawterm to use their servers instead of Bell Labs'?

the '-c' and '-a' switches are there for that reason :)

* Re: [9fans] drawterm-macosx problem...
@ 2004-07-01  9:38     ` Enrique Soriano
From: Enrique Soriano @ 2004-07-01  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-06-30 20:45   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-06-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> When I type my username, the term says:
>>
>>         "not a local console; won't ask for password"
>
> sounds like an old hack that was in passwd(1) to
> stop idiots changing their password on cpu servers.
>
> [allowing this would xmit your passwords(s) in the clear]

lunix drawterm checks whether $DISPLAY is 'host:#' or just ':#' and
decides whether it should prompt for a password or not.

no idea whether there's a difference in OSX

andrey

* Re: [9fans] drawterm-macosx problem...
@ 2004-06-30 20:39 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-06-30 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esoriano, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-06-30 16:31 Enrique Soriano Salvador
From: Enrique Soriano Salvador @ 2004-06-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I cannot connect to a cpu server from MacOsX using drawterm. I am using
the
binary  downloaded from (with SSL support):

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/

When I type my username, the term says:

        "not a local console; won't ask for password"

It's extrange, because the drawterm is being executed in the same
machine (my laptop).

I have sniffed the network, and the CPU server is responding:

        unsupported auth method
        cpu: bad auth method: '/dev/draw' does not exist.

Note that drawterm (the one with SSL downloaded from the same site) in a
linux box  ( that is in the same subnet) connects to the CPU server
without problems.

Any idea?

Thanks.

pd: wow!! two mails about macs the same day!! sure you hate me!! :D