* [9fans] Google's GFS
@ 2003-09-30  3:06 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-09-30  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Interesting paper. I'm curious why the authors didn't cite
ken fs, or venti/fossil. Surely they'ld have heard of them.

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/sosp2003/papers/p125-ghemawat.pdf

* Re: [9fans] Google's GFS
@ 2003-09-30  3:37 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-09-30  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Interesting paper. I'm curious why the authors didn't cite
> ken fs, or venti/fossil. Surely they'ld have heard of them.
>
> http://www.cs.rochester.edu/sosp2003/papers/p125-ghemawat.pdf

ten years have passed since Ken's file server -- that's plenty enough
to start reinventing it.  i doubt they've heard of fossil -- google
hasn't discovered plan9 yet.

;)

* Re: [9fans] Google's GFS
@ 2003-09-30  4:08   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-09-30  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ten years have passed since Ken's file server -- that's plenty enough
> to start reinventing it.  i doubt they've heard of fossil -- google
> hasn't discovered plan9 yet.

Hmm... Rob Pike was one of the reviewers of the paper, according to them.
(i am become boyd, annoyer of the worlds)

* Re: [9fans] Google's GFS
@ 2003-09-30  4:19   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-09-30  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Interesting paper. I'm curious why the authors didn't cite
> ken fs, or venti/fossil.

Why would they?

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but I really don't think
that either Plan 9 file server is anything like Google's file system.

* Re: [9fans] Google's GFS
@ 2003-09-30  4:25     ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-09-30  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Interesting paper. I'm curious why the authors didn't cite
>> ken fs, or venti/fossil.
>
> Why would they?
>
> Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but I really don't think
> that either Plan 9 file server is anything like Google's file system.

Yeah! those two have quite diffrent goal.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Google's GFS
@ 2003-09-30  6:27     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-09-30  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but I really don't think
> that either Plan 9 file server is anything like Google's file system.

I find it hard to believe that a comparative analysis wouldn't have included
at least one of the Plan9 fs'es. To my (novice) thinking some concepts sounded
similar: append-only writes, namespace management, snapshots, two tiered
architecture.