* [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air
@ 2008-01-25  5:31 John Barham
From: John Barham @ 2008-01-25  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, inferno-list

I found this Engadget story amusing:

http://tinyurl.com/363ojs

drive, they bundle a program to enable sharing of a disc drive from
another machine.  Apparently the (Mac) installer is 43 MB.  It would
be interesting to know why it needs to be so big when the equivalent
functionality in Plan 9 would take, what, 3 lines of shell script?
Might have been less work just to embed Inferno and be done with it!
;)

One wonders at what point the law of diminishing returns kicks in when
it comes to software...

  John

* Re: [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air
@ 2008-01-26  3:18 ` dave.l
From: dave.l @ 2008-01-26  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: inferno-list

> One wonders at what point the law of diminishing returns kicks in when
> it comes to software...

It didn't kick in: it snuck in a while ago.

I'm writing this on a 2GHz 2 core machine with 2Gb RAM
and a stock OSX 10.4 install.

it _should_ fly like a sparrowhawk: it's more like a dodo.
I wonder how much "Leopard"(ha!) will "speed it up".
Oh joy.

DaveL

* Re: [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air
@ 2008-01-26  3:48   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-26  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Question: are you running this natively/Boot Camp or on Q/Parallels/
VMware? If natively, how did you get it to work? I got stuck on

	ELCR: 0003

and it didn't go far. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running 10.4.10.

@ 2008-01-26  5:09   ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2008-01-26  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Actually, one of the first things I noticed about Leopard is that it
is noticeably faster than Tiger on the same hardware. YMMV.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary