* [9fans] sys: floating point in note handler
@ 2011-09-20 10:30 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-09-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

working on linuxemu I find perl seems to use floating point
in a signal handler - I have not worked out where or why as
getting debug symbols for perl is harder than I expected.

I understand note handlers are not alowed to use floating point,
but why is this - is it just for simplicity - "it was never needed so
we never wrote the code to support it", or is there a fundamental reason
why this is a no-no?

Thanks

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] sys: floating point in note handler
@ 2011-09-20 11:33 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-09-20 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i never hit that one. maybe pure luck. the linux signal handler doesnt execute
under the plan9 note context so it could just use fp if it wanted to. the
problem might be that we dont pass a proper fpu context in the note. to
get the fp context, we would need to read /proc/n/fpreg wich is expensive
operation.

--
cinap