* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-28  0:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-28  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

obviously, you haven't worked on CAD software.

- erik

On Thu Apr 27 17:54:39 CDT 2006, rminnich@lanl.gov wrote:

> 25 parameters?  If you tell me which drugs were involved in this code,
> I know what to stay away from.  Might be the current record for any
> code ever proposed for inclusion.

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-03  1:49           ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-05-03  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's at least one free algol 68 implementation that translates to
C, called Ctrans.  There are pointers to it and other implementations
at www.algol68.org.

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02 23:53 dmr
From: dmr @ 2006-05-02 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > Hmmm, I've always wondered if maybe DMR could sneak this [A68C compiler]
 > out to the TUHS
 > archives?  Is it at least on line?

It's not online here, so far as I can see.

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02 23:46   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-05-02 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> next big thing appears to be USB over IP.

i'm sure there's a spec for it in UPnP

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02 23:30 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-05-02 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's "virtual media". :)

And there are already linux kernel drivers for VHCI interfaces
"virtual host control interface" that implement this.

There are also a handful of KVM vendors with implementations and it's
part of AMD's OPMA specification too.

Dave

On 5/1/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:

> next big thing appears to be USB over IP.
>
> Almost as good as ATM over ethernet.
>
> yee ha!
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02 14:41         ` Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2006-05-02 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hmmm, I've always wondered if maybe DMR could sneak this out to the TUHS
archives?  Is it at least on line?

In article <383a34aca230dbcd89d76b9929cfc8c5@collyer.net> you write:
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins --- Pioneer Consulting Ltd.	arnold AT skeeve DOT com
P.O. Box 354		Home Phone: +972  8 979-0381	Fax: +1 206 350 8765

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02  6:11 ` Martin C. Atkins
From: Martin C. Atkins @ 2006-05-02  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:29:39 -0600 Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> next big thing appears to be USB over IP.

Makes a lot of sense.... if your devices don't talk 9P!

Martin

--
Martin C. Atkins			martin_ml@parvat.com
Parvat Infotech Private Limited		http://www.parvat.com{/,/martin}

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02  5:10 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2006-05-02  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Isn't that by Takahiro Hirofuchi? He's in the lab below me. He's a plan 9
and inferno fan.

Noah

On 5/2/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:

> next big thing appears to be USB over IP.
>
> Almost as good as ATM over ethernet.
>
> yee ha!
>
> ron

* [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-05-02  3:29 Ronald G Minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-05-02  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-04-28 21:57 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-04-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think both those mechanisms were much less shocking in `Unix: the early years',
and i found them quite interesting, even though i had no intention of emulating them.
(mind you, i subscribed to the algol68 bulletin.)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2603 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:01:58 -0500

not even his allocator?

- erik

On Fri Apr 28 08:02:29 CDT 2006, brantley@coraid.com wrote:
> > Not that I'm defending writing C as
> > though it were Algol 68...
>
> I kind of liked it after the initial shock.
> Even inspired the Obfuscated C Contest.
> I don't think SRB's code was obfuscated, though.

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-28 13:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-28 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-04-28 13:00         ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-04-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-04-28  7:01     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-04-28  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ok I counted that several times and I'm still not sure if it's 30 or
31.... too tired to care.  It's a formidably scary function though...
:-)

@ 2006-04-28  6:59   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-04-28  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-04-28  6:39 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-04-28  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-04-28  1:02       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-04-28  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Bourne had been immersed in the Algol 68C compiler at Cambridge and
did a port of it to PDP-11 Unix (thus the overlay a.out type(s) in
V7), as I recall, so it's somewhat understandable that he'd be
attached to Algol 68 (which uses do/od, actually, but od was already
the name of a Unix command).  Not that I'm defending writing C as
though it were Algol 68...

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-28  0:45     ` Roman Shaposhnick
From: Roman Shaposhnick @ 2006-04-28  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 06:58:32PM -0400, Brantley Coile wrote:
> >   #define begin {
> >   #define end }
>
> Have you read the source code for adb or the borne shell?

  Nope. I'm pretty happy with rc ;-) although, I'm about
  to indulge myself in es.

  That said, I'm not surprised that borne turned out that way.
  All that love for do/done kinda hints at that.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-27 23:58 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-04-27 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

u8, that's the new super-high-altitude spy plane, isn't it?  Or is it
the band named after the plane?

I especially like the const parameters that aren't const pointers.
Very important to make sure that the copy of the parameter on the
stack doesn't get modified by the called function.

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-27 22:58   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-04-27 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-04-27 22:57 ` Roman Shaposhnick
From: Roman Shaposhnick @ 2006-04-27 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:45:25PM -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> this is from the openib mailing list :-)

  Sigh! The fact that 'struct ehca_pfqp *pfqp' is there rules
  out the possibility that the guy have never heard of
  structs. Although, not entirely, after all a buddy of mine
  migrated from Pascal to C with:

  #define begin {
  #define end }

  you get the idea...

Thanks,
Roman.

> ron
> ===
> On Thu, 27 April 2006 12:49:36 +0200, Heiko J Schick wrote:
>
> >> +u64 hipz_h_alloc_resource_qp(const struct ipz_adapter_handle
> >> adapter_handle,
> >> +			     struct ehca_pfqp *pfqp,
> >> +			     const u8 servicetype,
> >> +			     const u8 daqp_ctrl,
> >> +			     const u8 signalingtype,
> >> +			     const u8 ud_av_l_key_ctl,
> >> +			     const struct ipz_cq_handle send_cq_handle,
> >> +			     const struct ipz_cq_handle receive_cq_handle,
> >> +			     const struct ipz_eq_handle async_eq_handle,
> >> +			     const u32 qp_token,
> >> +			     const struct ipz_pd pd,
> >> +			     const u16 max_nr_send_wqes,
> >> +			     const u16 max_nr_receive_wqes,
> >> +			     const u8 max_nr_send_sges,
> >> +			     const u8 max_nr_receive_sges,
> >> +			     const u32 ud_av_l_key,
> >> +			     struct ipz_qp_handle *qp_handle,
> >> +			     u32 * qp_nr,
> >> +			     u16 * act_nr_send_wqes,
> >> +			     u16 * act_nr_receive_wqes,
> >> +			     u8 * act_nr_send_sges,
> >> +			     u8 * act_nr_receive_sges,
> >> +			     u32 * nr_sq_pages,
> >> +			     u32 * nr_rq_pages,
> >> +			     struct h_galpas *h_galpas);
>

> 25 parameters?  If you tell me which drugs were involved in this code,
> I know what to stay away from.  Might be the current record for any
> code ever proposed for inclusion.

* [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-27 22:45 Ronald G Minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)