* Re: [9fans] weird cursor motion
@ 2003-05-11 18:17 Zoltan Jarai
From: Zoltan Jarai @ 2003-05-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I use a video card with S3 virge chip on. It mostly works fine in
> 1024x768x8, but has one annoying problem.
>
>  When acme automatically moves the cursor around, like when
>  searching for a piece of text or resizing a window, often times
>  (but not always) the cursor symbol on the screen stays where
>  it was, until I wiggle the mouse a little bit, then it immedately
>  jumps to where it is supposed to be. As if the cursor was
>  daydreaming... Has anyone seen this?

(See: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=LPBBIBIIHKHEGDBPHBDOMEFNCAAA.kiwane%40dream.com)

I came upon this exact same problem and fixed it by adding a call to
s3vsyncactive() in /sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c:/^s3move to wait for the card
a little.  I know, it's a hack.

diff -n /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c /sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c:324 a /sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c:325,325
> 	s3vsyncactive();

My card is an S3 TRIO 32 (PCI ID 5333/8811) and I use the TRIO 64
section of /lib/vgadb.  (I tried the ViRGE section as well, since
5333/8811 is mentioned there but the screen was flickering.)

ctlr
	0xC0044="Phoenix S3 TRIO32 Enhanced VGA BIOS. Version 1.3-08"
	link=vga
	hwgc=s3hwgc
	ctlr=trio64 linear=1
	link=ibm8514

Zoli

* Re: [9fans] weird cursor motion
@ 2001-04-26  9:51 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-04-26  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Giving your right hand for a second mouse strikes me as a
philosophical conundrum. Or perhaps an opportunity for
creative input devices.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] weird cursor motion
@ 2001-04-26  4:11 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-04-26  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 12:26:59AM +0900, kazumi iwane wrote:

> When acme automatically moves the cursor around, like when
> searching for a piece of text or resizing a window, often times
> (but not always) the cursor symbol on the screen stays where
> it was, until I wiggle the mouse a little bit, then it immedately
> jumps to where it is supposed to be. As if the cursor was
> daydreaming... Has anyone seen this?

On that subject, if somewhat tangential: vncviewer is terribly
irritating (no matter what platform, I should imagine) when using
"wily".  The cursor motion is entirely defeated by the viewer's cursor
position :-(

Just an amusing discovery.  There had to be some place where
vncviewer wasn't going to work properly.

And on a related note, I had at least one instance where I would have
given my right hand for a second mouse, while using acme.  Well, not
that a second mouse would have been terribly useful to a one-handed
person, but you get my drift...

MS Windows (I've tried '95, '98 and NT) responds quite well to two of
the rodents (yes, I have no idea if they are mice or mouses, like
mongoose) but with only one cursor.  I should imagine that grafting a
second mouse channel on Plan 9 would be easier (at the filesystem
level, coercing the software to use it would be a different
challenge).

++L

* Re: [9fans] weird cursor motion
@ 2001-04-25 16:19 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-25 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i did see that when i had an s3 card but not since (i use an ati card now).

i could be wrong, but i'd have guessed
it is more likely to be an oversight in vgas3.c or
some other problem in the kernel's vga or mouse handling,
not aux/vga's fault, because it doesn't seem to be
the initialisation but rather the dynamic adjustment of
the cursor position in response to writes to /dev/mouse

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2242 bytes --]

To: <cse.psu.edu!9fans>
Subject: [9fans] weird cursor motion
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:26:59 +0900

Hello 9fans,

I use a video card with S3 virge chip on. It mostly works fine in
1024x768x8, but has one annoying problem.

When acme automatically moves the cursor around, like when
searching for a piece of text or resizing a window, often times
(but not always) the cursor symbol on the screen stays where
it was, until I wiggle the mouse a little bit, then it immedately
jumps to where it is supposed to be. As if the cursor was
daydreaming... Has anyone seen this?

I think I should tweak aux/vga a little... Any clues, please?

* [9fans] weird cursor motion
@ 2001-04-25 15:26 kazumi iwane