* [9fans] update via replica/pull
@ 2004-03-24 16:35 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-03-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I try to update from sources but I'm not sure about the
procedure. Is

9fs sources
bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
replica/pull -v /n/dist

what I'm looking for?

What about permissions and users? Can I do this as "normal"
user? I use an non fossil fileserver. Is it necessary to turn off
the permission checking on the fileserver? After replica/pull,
which parts should be rebuild? Is there somthing like "make
world"?

Many thanks
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] update via replica/pull
@ 2004-03-24 16:48 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

replica/pull -v /dist/replica/network

should be enough

* Re: [9fans] update via replica/pull
@ 2004-03-24 16:53 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-03-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Matthias Teege wrote:

>Moin,
>
>I try to update from sources but I'm not sure about the
>procedure. Is
>
>9fs sources
>bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
>replica/pull -v /n/dist
>
>what I'm looking for?

9fs sources
cp /n/sources/plan9/usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull /usr/you/bin/rc
pull

should work.  You may already have the script in /usr/glenda/bin/rc
depending on how recently you installed.

>What about permissions and users? Can I do this as "normal"
>user? I use an non fossil fileserver. Is it necessary to turn off
>the permission checking on the fileserver? After replica/pull,
>which parts should be rebuild? Is there somthing like "make
>world"?

Pull will take care of kfscmd allow and disallow.  We try to keep the
binaries up-to-date so you shouldn't need to "make world".  If you want
to, just cd /sys/src and mk all; mk install.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] update via replica/pull
@ 2004-03-24 17:13   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-03-24 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Mar 24 17:02:39 GMT 2004, rsc@swtch.com wrote:
> 9fs sources
> cp /n/sources/plan9/usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull /usr/you/bin/rc
> pull
>
> should work.  You may already have the script in /usr/glenda/bin/rc
> depending on how recently you installed.

I don't use a local KFS. I use an "old style" fileserver. Pull gives me

term% pull
kfscmd: can't open commands file
kfs init 2210: can't open /dev/sdC0/fs
kfs 2210: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0001d649
mount: can't open /srv/kfs: '/srv/kfs' file does not exist
clientmount: 9fs 2208: mount 2211: open
kfscmd: can't open commands file

I think I must disable permission checking on the
fileserver.

@ 2004-03-24 17:32     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2004-03-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't use a local KFS. I use an "old style" fileserver. Pull gives me

If you mean kenfs, you'll need to modify your /dist/replica/network.
I've included mine as a sample. May not fit your need exactly:

cpu% cat /dist/replica/network
#!/bin/rc

s=/n/dist/dist/replica
serverroot=/n/dist
serverlog=$s/plan9.log
serverproto=$s/plan9.proto
fn servermount {
	srv tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources /n/sources
	bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
}
fn serverupdate { status='' }

fn clientmount { 9fs il!fs /n/fs }
c=/n/fs/dist/replica
clientroot=/n/fs
clientdb=$c/client/plan9.db
clientexclude=(dist/replica/client)
clientlog=$c/client/plan9.log

# applyopt=(-u -T$c/client/plan9.time)
# remove the -u so we can do the pulls with somebody who is
# a member of sys
applyopt=(-T$c/client/plan9.time)

> I think I must disable permission checking on the
> fileserver.
>
> Matthias

For permission checking either add yourself to sys group
or do allow on the fs console. Check Russ' response to similar
questions in the past at groups.google.com (comp.os.plan9)

* Re: [9fans] update via replica/pull
@ 2004-03-24 17:33     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-03-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sounds right to me, I only ever use kfs or fossil.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2978 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] update via replica/pull
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:13:56 0000

@ 2004-03-24 23:52   ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-03-24 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

However, only 386 binaries are kept up to date on sources.  If you
have plan 9 machines of other architectures (e.g., arm [bitsy],
alpha), you'll want to rebuild those binaries when the sources change.

* Re: [9fans] update via replica/pull
@ 2004-03-25  6:10       ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-03-25  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Mar 24 17:42:38 GMT 2004, skip@9netics.com wrote:
> If you mean kenfs, you'll need to modify your /dist/replica/network.
> I've included mine as a sample. May not fit your need exactly:

Ok, I've setup my /dist/replica/network like yours and run
replica/pull -v /dist/replica/network. It works and fetches
the files. After that I have some backups in /i386/bin like

--rwxrwxr-x M 9 sys sys   100873 Jun 23  2003 /386/bin/_yacc
--rwxrwxr-x M 9 sys sys    89339 Jun 23  2003 /386/bin/_zip

I think I can remove this files without problems!? Beause I run
pull as user the updated files are owned by me but group sys.
Is it necessary/reasonable to change the owner to sys?

@ 2004-03-25  6:13         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-03-25  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I think I can remove this files without problems!? Beause I run

as soon as you are certain they are not currently being run

>>Is it necessary/reasonable to change the owner to sys?

if you're running the file server (temporarily) in `allow' mode to
allow changes to user name, you can have replica put the right
users and groups on automatically by ensuring that the setting of
applyopt in /dist/replica/network includes -u:

applyopt=(-u -T$c/client/plan9.time)