* [9fans] Support for ThinkPad 390X?
@ 2006-06-27 21:59 Erez Schatz
From: Erez Schatz @ 2006-06-27 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,
I've been using an old ThinkPad 390X as a study machine, installing
different OS's and testing, and I've came across Plan9.
I've tried the LiveCD and while installation seems fine, I can't seem to be
able to run it, as it gets stuck in mid-boot.
I didn't find it in the supported hardware (or maybe didn't look hard
enough...)
Question is, is the 390X supported by Plan9, and if so, any ideas on
what isn't going right or how to run it?

Thanks in advance

--
Erez

I debug, therefore I code.
A Blog of Very Little Brain: http://moonbuzz.blogspot.com

* Compaq Presario 900 (Was: [9fans] Support for ThinkPad 390X?)
@ 2006-06-28  4:11 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2006-06-28  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've been using an old ThinkPad 390X as a study machine

On a similar note, I have acquired a Compaq Presario 900, but both the
installation and the live CD kernels freeze after the memory display.
Is there an obvious fix that I missed, or is Plan 9 just not going to
run on that platform without some fresh surgery?

UBUNTU (Breezy Badger) runs surprisingly well on that laptop.  And
drives the most astonishing 3G adapter: it's a PC-CARD containing a
PCI bus which in turn serves a USB controller which in turn connects
to a USB serial adapter which drives the GSM (UMTS?) phone/modem.  I
can't even contemplate how to persuade Plan 9 (or NetBSD) to deal with
such a convoluted device.

++L

* Re: Compaq Presario 900 (Was: [9fans] Support for ThinkPad 390X?)
@ 2006-06-28 14:34   ` Erez Schatz
From: Erez Schatz @ 2006-06-28 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Right, Ubuntu seems to support 390X ThinkPads as
well, which gives me issues with a lot of other distros. I do believe
some alien technology is invoved.

--

@ 2006-06-28 15:03     ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2006-06-28 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

I have a IBM 390X at work and I can boot it with the Installation CD (and
selecting the "Boot from the CD", not installing). The rio runs perfect,
detects the yenta socket, ...

The boot CD is from two months ago. If you need anything send me (to the P9
list better) a mail.

kix.

2006/6/28, Erez Schatz <moonbuzz@gmail.com>:

> Right, Ubuntu seems to support 390X ThinkPads as
> well, which gives me issues with a lot of other distros. I do believe some alien technology is invoved.
>

> On 6/28/06, Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
> >
> > > I've been using an old ThinkPad 390X as a study machine
> >
> > On a similar note, I have acquired a Compaq Presario 900, but both the
> > installation and the live CD kernels freeze after the memory display.
> > Is there an obvious fix that I missed, or is Plan 9 just not going to
> > run on that platform without some fresh surgery?
> >
> > UBUNTU (Breezy Badger) runs surprisingly well on that laptop.  And
> > drives the most astonishing 3G adapter: it's a PC-CARD containing a
> > PCI bus which in turn serves a USB controller which in turn connects
> > to a USB serial adapter which drives the GSM (UMTS?) phone/modem.  I
> > can't even contemplate how to persuade Plan 9 (or NetBSD) to deal with
> > such a convoluted device.
> >
> > ++L
> >

> --
> Erez
>
> I debug, therefore I code.
> A Blog of Very Little Brain: http://moonbuzz.blogspot.com

--
Rodolfo García "kix"

* [9fans] Re: Support for ThinkPad 390X?
@ 2006-06-30 23:40 ` Erez Schatz
From: Erez Schatz @ 2006-06-30 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry to bump this, but, anyone has any ideas?

On 6/28/06, Erez Schatz <moonbuzz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been using an old ThinkPad 390X as a study machine, installing
> different OS's and testing, and I've came across Plan9.
> I've tried the LiveCD and while installation seems fine, I can't seem to
> be able to run it, as it gets stuck in mid-boot.
> I didn't find it in the supported hardware (or maybe didn't look hard
> enough...)
> Question is, is the 390X supported by Plan9, and if so, any ideas on
> what isn't going right or how to run it?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Erez
>
> I debug, therefore I code.
> A Blog of Very Little Brain: http://moonbuzz.blogspot.com

--
Erez

I debug, therefore I code.
A Blog of Very Little Brain: http://moonbuzz.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] Re: Support for ThinkPad 390X?
@ 2006-07-01  0:45   ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2006-07-01  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I dont have any ideas about why your X390 have a problem. I try with one and
all is ok.

@ 2006-07-02 21:27     ` Erez Schatz
From: Erez Schatz @ 2006-07-02 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs