From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] multiple pings cause panic
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:53:40 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun Apr 18 21:21:10 EDT 2010, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> if one wants to retry connecting he can.

if you're primarly functioning as a server, that might be true,
but not helpful.  you may just appear down.  it's just no fun
to get the call "i can't (read my mail|cpu in|...)" at 2am.  i'd
much rather the dumb machine panic and reboot automaticly.

but i'm biased because my fileservers doesn't care, and you can't
connect to them remotely.

> not being able to make a
> network connection is a very common case so i guess it would be ok to
> simply let it fail on this point instead of hanging and waiting.
>
> rebooting sounds like a little bit too drastic for me. expecially if it
> is about icmp sockets. devip just has too less context to make a good
> decision.
>
> the comment above the panic call also hinted that it was ment as some
> kind of a bet or a debugging leftover so it felt save to remove it :)

panicing is not right.  all i'm saying is that printing might not really
help either.  i don't think either of us have the testing resources to
be confident that your patch is going to be a significant win.  it
looks fine, but i don't want to find out at 2am it's not really.
after all, i haven't yet had a panic due to this and i've got some
(unintentionally) tough customers.  they've got deadlines, too.

- erik