From: cinap_lenrek@gmx.de
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] multiple pings cause panic
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 03:19:56 +0200	[thread overview]

if one wants to retry connecting he can.  not being able to make a
network connection is a very common case so i guess it would be ok to
simply let it fail on this point instead of hanging and waiting.

rebooting sounds like a little bit too drastic for me. expecially if it
is about icmp sockets. devip just has too less context to make a good
decision.

the comment above the panic call also hinted that it was ment as some
kind of a bet or a debugging leftover so it felt save to remove it :)

anyway. the patch may or may not get applied or someone comes up
with a better solution. creating it was just a matter of seconds and i
apologize for blocking the patch tu^W^Wqueue if it caused any
inconvinience. :)

--
panic("me is a boofhead");

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2618 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:27:32 -0400

> made a patch that changes the panic into a print:
>
> /n/sources/patch/devip-allconvused-panic

i'm not sure that's what one wants, in general.
depending on the protocol and the use case, you may
want to
(a) panic
(b) print (carefully)
(c) wait for the resource to become available.

i'd be afraid of transforming a simple, automaticly
recoverable problem into something that just wedges
the machine with prints to the console and no progress.

i've never seen a machine panic for this reason.

- erik