* [9fans] can't install 9front kernels
@ 2014-11-13 21:28 Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2014-11-13 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I recently updated my 9front and recompiled everything, including
kernels and 9bootfat.
After installing the new 9bootfat and kernels to /n/9fat, the system
fails to boot. The computer (Thinkpad X220) just reboots after 9bootfat.
If I replace the new 9pcf with the old version (the one that came with
the installer some months ago), it works again (with the new 9bootfat),
so something about the kernel must be wrong. I have the same problem
with both the 9pcf and the 9pc64 kernels.

I think I might have to change my configuration files, but I'm not sure
how, or if that is even the problem. I haven't touched them so far.

Fritz

* Re: [9fans] can't install 9front kernels
@ 2014-11-13 21:36 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-11-13 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

can you provide that crashing kernel binary?

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] can't install 9front kernels
@ 2014-11-13 21:43 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-11-13 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

also, your plan9.ini contents would be nice to have. in case this
is a regression instead of a corrupt kernel binary, it would help
narrowing it down.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] can't install 9front kernels
@ 2014-11-14  5:36     ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2014-11-14  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

/lib/firmware was indeed the problem.

I have my wifi firmware there (and I need it there to use wifi), but
when I installed it, I just extracted all the iwl firmware files there,
not just the necessary one for my card. I deleted all files except for
the needed one and it now works.

Thanks a lot!

Fritz

@ 2014-11-13 22:21   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-11-13 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-11-13 21:45   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-11-13 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yeah, sounds good.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] can't install 9front kernels
@ 2014-11-13 21:41 ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2014-11-13 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I did that, just as it says in the FQA. I also did the chmod +al, and
the 9bootfat seems to be ok, because it works when I combine the new
9bootfat and the old 9pcf.

@cinap: should I send the binary directly to you?

@ 2014-11-13 20:33 sl
From: sl @ 2014-11-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)