* [9fans] default profile and factotum
@ 2021-01-14 12:00 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-01-14 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I came across a strange issue today - I could not send mail when cpu'ed into
a different machine.

It turned out to be my factotum was not visible (it was not bound in in my profile)

This feels starnge to me so I checked in /sys/lib/newuser to make sure I hand't just deleted
the line by mistake, but no.

Is this by design? is there a reason for not binding in my factotum when I cpu(1)

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] default profile and factotum
@ 2021-01-14 12:07 ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-01-14 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I think it's a kind of compromise between drawterm and rcpu. Woth
drawterm you don't have a factotum (that would be love), so you can't
bind it.

With drawterm you'd need running factotum on the cpu, which is not that
nice...

I never ended up using the original pro-file (pun intended) from newuser.
I always adjusted it to my needs and now I have a nicely working profile.
I assume it's meant to be adjusted to your situation.

I think that's like you can't install a generic Plan 9 system and expect
it to fit your needs. It always depends on your network, the machines
etc.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw the drawterm /dev/secstore stuff never worked for me. I don't even
know why I would need the auth server in drawterm...

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] default profile and factotum
@ 2021-01-14 12:14   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-01-14 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> With drawterm you'd need running factotum on the cpu, which is not that
> nice...

FYI: I have a patch which stores the secrets from secstore in /dev/secstore
in drawterm so your profile can start factotum -n and populate the factotum
with cat - and then importantly clear out the /dev/secstore.

I did't write this code put found it on the net (kudos to the original author).

it means you can start drawterm with a just a click linux/osx/windows click
and secstore password.

It is less secure, but I am using this at home only.

-Steve