* [9fans] greylist processing in smtpd
@ 2003-11-01 18:30 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I updated the smtpd sources with geoff collyer's greylist processing.
It's under the -g flag.  He's been using it for weeks.

It relies on a spammer's unlikelyhood of redialing later should we tell
him we're busy.  Whenever smtpd receives a message, it first checks
a white list of ip addresses.  if the sender's address isn't there, the
mail is accepted.  If not smtpd then looks for the file
is accepted.  If not, the file is created and the message rejected with
a ``we're busy. try again later'' error code.

You'll have to remove old files from /mail/grey on a regular basis in
cron.

Geoff will be posting an initial whitelist soon.  You need to seed it with
the the yahoo (and some other mailers).  One problem with the algorithm
are multiple system smtp senders.  Yahoo had many systems that all send
smtp messages from a common set of queues.  It could be days before the
same yahoo system will try to resend the message and get added to the
whitelist.

The downside is that the first messages from any system to a local user
could take over an hour to get here depending on the sender's retry
interval.  Also, its not rocket science for spammers to figure this
out and outwit it.  However, geekmail.cc seems to be using it to good
effect.

* Re: [9fans] greylist processing in smtpd
@ 2003-11-01 19:23 ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2003-11-01 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:30:14PM -0500, David Presotto wrote:

> It relies on a spammer's unlikelyhood of redialing later should we tell
> him we're busy.  Whenever smtpd receives a message, it first checks
> a white list of ip addresses.  if the sender's address isn't there, the
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> mail is accepted.  If not smtpd then looks for the file

s/isn't there/is there/ ?

-taj

* Re: [9fans] greylist processing in smtpd
@ 2003-11-01 19:29   ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-01 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

right, I can't type and think at the same time

* Re: [9fans] greylist processing in smtpd
@ 2003-11-02  2:00 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-11-02  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans