* [9fans] Experiments in the wild
@ 2013-08-18 17:56 lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-08-18 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a MikroTik 411 that will soon be deployed as a Wi-Fi link to
the Internet and in the absence of any other manner to mess with it
until then, I decided to see how far a Plan 9 installation would go:

	Plan 9
	cpu0: 680MHz mips 24k be v3.5 rev 0, no fpu
	cpu0: 16 tlb entries, using 4K pages
	cpu0: l1 i cache: 512 sets 4 ways 32 bytes/line
	cpu0: l1 d cache: 256 sets 4 ways 32 bytes/linecaches configured as write-through
	256M memory: 53M kernel data, 203M user, 1227M swap
	#l0: atheros71xx: 1Gbps port 0X1A000000 irq 5: d4ca6d7df1ce
	#l1: atheros71xx: 1Gbps port 0X19000000 irq 4: d4ca6d7df1cf

It stops there, but there are enough lies in the above to accept that
verdict.

Still, it shows promise, given that this is 9rb created from the
distribution.  I don't think I have the know-how to fix it (I may do
at least some digging, though), but I thought others may find this at
least interesting.

In passing, having to build the user space for MIPS, I found that it
helps if /mips/bin/contrib is writable by the builder: it is not
created by default, but it comes in handy for those of us who may have
something that will be installed in it.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Experiments in the wild
@ 2013-08-18 18:26 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-08-18 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Make sure you have modified vl nop.c to emit the anti triple store
> bit and make sure that there is a proper root.  I had a machine hang
> just like that this week.

I vaguely remember mention of the problem with three consecutive store
operations, I'm not sure how to make sure there is a proper root, but
I suspect that I can look that up.  But fixing the memory size (the
411 has only 32MiB) and other strange items (two ethernet ports?  I
would not expect the Wi-Fi to present itself as an ethernet device)
may be another problem altogether.

Still, I'll give it a shot.

@ 2013-08-18 18:05 Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2013-08-18 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Make sure you have modified vl nop.c to emit the anti triple store bit and make sure that there is a proper root.  I had a machine hang just like that this week.

- erik