* [9fans] Re: line wrapping
       [not found] <20060202063702.D68D91E8C24@holo.morphisms.net>
@ 2006-02-07  9:02 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2006-02-07  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/2/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> uriel rsc9: is there any reason for the wraping of lines
>           at 80 chars in wikifs?  why not let acme wrap lines
>           to whatever the window size is?  (I have seen this also
>           in irc7, and I still don't understand why, to me it
>           seems like an annoying misfeature, but I guess there
>           has to be a reason for it)
>
> acme line wrapping is a last resort.
> it wraps mid-word and looks ugly.
Maybe acme should know how to do word-wrapping? Or is there a reason for it not
to?

Acme is already word-aware for double-click selection, so it's not so
much of a philosophical breach; only problem I see is that it might
make hard
to know if the line break is in the file or inserted by acme, but that
problem already exists, any ideas about how to mark line wrapping?

I have seen quite a few apps that do word warping on their own just
because they are intended to run inside acme , and usually with less
than ideal results(eg., irc7)

uriel

> it is true that Wiki itself should
> be doing the line wrapping, but unless
> you want to write that code, i would
> just leave the wrapping in wikifs.

* Re: [9fans] Re: line wrapping
@ 2006-02-07  9:41   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-07  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

acme's wrapping is fine for line-oriented files.
programs that have special needs can work a little harder
(see mc, for example).  i don't think acme could
reasonably be expected to wrap *-indented lines,
for example.  i told you in the original email that you
could write the Wiki code to do the wrapping, but you
ignored that part.  i repeat what i said before:

> > it is true that Wiki itself should
> > be doing the line wrapping, but unless
> > you want to write that code, i would
> > just leave the wrapping in wikifs.

look at mc for an example.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: line wrapping
@ 2006-02-07  9:55     ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-07  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> acme's wrapping is fine for line-oriented files.
> programs that have special needs can work a little harder
> (see mc, for example).  i don't think acme could
> reasonably be expected to wrap *-indented lines,
> for example.  i told you in the original email that you
> could write the Wiki code to do the wrapping, but you
> ignored that part.  i repeat what i said before:
Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore it, I thought it was duplicated work
that could be done in a single place instead of in every app that
might need it.  Doing wrapping properly for variable font width is
just way too much hassle for most apps that just want to deal with
text and not worry about how it gets displayed as long as it's
readable.

Also I would like to be able to resize acme windows and have the
wrapping adapt to the new size, this is specially important for long-lived
apps like irc clients. Acme apps might be able to pick size changes and apply
them to the whole window, but that is harder(or impossible) for apps
run inside win(yes, I'm aware that then the issue is no different than with
rio windows.)

After some more thinking I still can't see how this can be done cleanly
without doing it inside acme.