* [9fans] Standalone Fileserver with IDE disk?
@ 2003-09-15  9:23 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2003-09-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

after setup a cpu/auth server under VMware I want to build a
fileserver on a old pc. The wiki says, that I can use IDE drives
but in /sys/src/fs/pc there is no driver for a IDE drive. Is it
possible to use IDE disk?

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- http://www.mteege.de
make world not war

* Re: [9fans] Standalone Fileserver with IDE disk?
@ 2003-09-15  9:37 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-09-15  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

See /sys/src/fs/pc/devata.c; IDE == ATA == PATA.

It works; I have 4 IDE disks on my file server.  You need to declare
the controllers as apparently not described in plan9.ini(8) (to my
surprise):

	ata0=type=ata irq=14
	ata1=type=ata irq=15

The bad news is, as jmk noted, that the driver uses programmed I/O,
not DMA, so use of the IDE disks chews up the file server's CPU.  I
haven't had time to fix it and just making the cache disk into a SCSI
disk would largely solve the problem; doing the same for `other' would
almost entirely solve it.