* [9fans] Installation help hdd/partition
@ 2002-01-13 14:59 Roshan James
From: Roshan James @ 2002-01-13 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry if i am being foolish.
I dont know if these issues have been addressed somewhere,
I havent found them, so please help.

I recently(Nov 2001) downloaded the plan dist off the bell labs site.
I have a 20gb seagate drive on my p2 350mhz 192mb ram machine.

Partdisk seemed to show something i dont understand. I have
a linux installation in a partition in my extended partition.
Now partdisk seems to display p1,s2 and s3 as my partitions and
where p1 is my primary c: s2 is my extended and s3 is the linux
partition. It shows the rest of the disk(beyond the linux partition)
as free space, while i actually further fat32 partitons there.

Where can I install plan9 ? I made a 700mb primary partition at the
end of my 20gb space for plan9.
I used the partdisk t command to set the type to plan9. When I wrote
the partiton info, it seemed to have erased all the extended partitions
i had from the linux partition onwards. I recoverd all the fat32
sections with ndd, my linux partiton is still there in limbo.

Things then seemed ok with the teh intsllaer whoch them made the
filesystem and did other things till it came to the bootmaker. here
I chose win9x. I got an error that said it was unable to make c:\plan9
due to a hung channel (?).
It then made a boot floppy for me. however 'stop' refused to work on
the install floppy (due to a hung channel) once the boot floppy was made.

After going for a reboot neither bootable diskette has worked. pqmagic
detected a incosistency the CHS and LBA values and offered to fix these.
pqmagic refused to work anymore complaining that it cant work under
win NT/2000/xp (while i am in dos)
The downloaded install image diskette says
 PBS...Plan9from Bell Labs
 ELCR: 0E00
 apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=100 ebx=ef50 esi=103e9
 using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
 dev A0 port 1F0 config 0C5A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 041F
 dev A0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407
and then it nothing more.... The boot floppy that it made for
booting into the plan9 intsallation says
 PBS...Plan9from Bell Labs
 ELCR: 0E00
 apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=100 ebx=ef50 esi=103e9
 dev A0 port 1F0 config 0C5A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 041F
 dev A0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407
 using sdC0!9fat!plan9.ini
 panic: iunlock

So as of now i have plan9 installed but cant get into it. I think there
are a lot of issues here, so please can someone help me out
- what are the sN and pN types displayed by partdisk ?
- can i get the plan9 installation to work ?
- can plan9 be installed on a large drive outside the 8gb limit (as i
later realised it might have an issue with this)?
- why arent the boot floppies working anymore ?
please help

roshan james

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
 From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
   A light from the shadow shall spring;
Renewed shall be a blade that was broken,
   The crownless again shall be king.
(Gandalf,The Fellowship of the Ring)

* Re: [9fans] Installation help hdd/partition
@ 2002-02-07  9:55 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-02-07  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rosh spark@yahoo.com (Roshan James) wrote in message news:<004c01c19c51$44a48040$17ba09ca@rosh>...
> ------------
> All that is gold does not glitter,
>     Not all those who wander are lost;
> The old that is strong does not wither,
>     Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
> From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
>    A light from the shadow shall spring;
> Renewed shall be a blade that was broken,
>    The crownless again shall be king.
> (Gandalf,The Fellowship of the Ring)

Actually the poem was translated by Bilbo Baggins from the original (Elvish?)
;-)
-joel