* [9fans] GDT reload in l.s
@ 2003-10-30  0:06 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-30  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is 32-bit code and it is working. I've dumped the gdt in main() and
it's the one I have set up. It gets changed pretty quickly, of course, as
the kernel comes up and puts in an "official" gdt, but it supports the
kernel until the kernel gets the "official" gdt in place.

Just to make sure I'm going to dump ds, es, etc. and make sure they're OK
too, but it looks good so far.

I wonder if it would be OK to accept these simple changes given that they
cover the case of entering the kernel in 32-bit mode with a need to make
sure the GDT is sane, as may happen from any number of open-source BIOSes.
These changes don't help if you are in 16-bit mode, but you can't actually
start executing at 0x100020 in 16-bit mode anyway, so really supporting
that will require some serious work. These changes don't negatively affect
a goal to support a 16-bit entry point into the kernel in the future, and
they help support 32-bit entry from non-9load systems now.

ron

* Re: [9fans] GDT reload in l.s
@ 2003-10-30  0:48 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-30  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)