* [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 14:18 Luis
From: Luis @ 2023-06-14 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

According to plan9.ini(8):
wpapsk=password
 WPA/WPA2 encryption is detected automatically and a prompt
 for the password will appear when using the WIFI interface
 for netbooting. To avoid the prompt, the password can be
 specified with the boot parameter above.

However, I do not get said prompt, and when I try to netboot with this
configuration:
 ether0=type=iwl
 essid=myessid
 bootargs=tls!-g 192.168.1.1 ether /net/ether0
That (obviously, as I did not enter my wifi creds) fails with
"ipconfig: no success with DHCP."

It works if I escape to shell with !rc and run aux/wpa manually.

How do I get aux/wpa to automatically prompt for a password OR to
permanently store the password for use at boot time?

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 14:30 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2023-06-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On June 14, 2023 10:18:13 AM EDT, Luis <luis@ck-weine.ch> wrote:
> According to plan9.ini(8):
> wpapsk=password
>  WPA/WPA2 encryption is detected automatically and a prompt
>  for the password will appear when using the WIFI interface
>  for netbooting. To avoid the prompt, the password can be
>  specified with the boot parameter above.
>
> However, I do not get said prompt, and when I try to netboot with this
> configuration:
>  ether0=type=iwl
>  essid=myessid
>  bootargs=tls!-g 192.168.1.1 ether /net/ether0
> That (obviously, as I did not enter my wifi creds) fails with
> "ipconfig: no success with DHCP."
>
> It works if I escape to shell with !rc and run aux/wpa manually.
>
> How do I get aux/wpa to automatically prompt for a password OR to
> permanently store the password for use at boot time?

not sure what other problems there may be, but make sure essid appears on the same line as ether0.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 16:26   ` Luis
From: Luis @ 2023-06-14 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 2023-06-14 at 10:30 -0400, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> not sure what other problems there may be, but make sure essid
> appears on the same line as ether0.
>
> sl

Ok, Thanks. The Problem does persist with essid= on the same line as
ether0=.

luis

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 17:28     ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2023-06-14 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Luis <luis@ck-weine.ch>:
> On Wed, 2023-06-14 at 10:30 -0400, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> > not sure what other problems there may be, but make sure essid
> > appears on the same line as ether0.
> >
> > sl
>
> Ok, Thanks. The Problem does persist with essid= on the same line as
> ether0=.

I recall having issues as well with this.  My current plan9.ini uses
the bssid= rather than the essid= for the wireless network I'm
connecting to, but I don't think it does anything because in my user's
profile I run a script to connect to wifi *after* I start up factotum:

% cat /bin/wifi/auth
#!/bin/rc
if (~ $ether '')
    ether=`{cd /net; ls -d ether*}
for (e in $ether ) {
    if (grep -s 'status: need authentication' /net/$e/ifstats) {
                essid=`{grep '^essid: ' /net/$e/ifstats | sed 's/essid: //'}
                if (grep -s 'essid=.*'^$"essid /mnt/factotum/ctl) {
                        aux/wpa /net/$e
                        ip/ipconfig ether /net/$e
                }
                if not echo 'No factotum key found for essid:'^$"essid >[1=2]
        }
}

So the wpapsk= probably didn't work for my situation or I didn't know
how to wield it.  If either of those was the case, perhaps I didn't
want to type the password each time and I was okay with waiting for my
profile to be run.

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 18:35       ` 9johansen via 9fans
From: 9johansen via 9fans @ 2023-06-14 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I’ve had issues with wifi in the past and normally just end up following this approach:
https://9lab.org/plan9/thinkpad-t420s/.  It works well and allows the selection of different essid/network upon boot.

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 18:38         ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2023-06-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth 9johansen via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> I’ve had issues with wifi in the past and normally just end up following this approach:
> https://9lab.org/plan9/thinkpad-t420s/.  It works well and allows the selection of different essid/network upon boot.

Igor does great work.  So apparently he handles it in the profile (for
the terminal case) as well.

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 18:50           ` Luis
From: Luis @ 2023-06-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 2023-06-14 at 11:38 -0700, unobe@cpan.org wrote:
> Quoth 9johansen via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> > I’ve had issues with wifi in the past and normally just end up
> > following this approach:
> > https://9lab.org/plan9/thinkpad-t420s/.  It works well and allows
> > the selection of different essid/network upon boot.
>
> Igor does great work.  So apparently he handles it in the profile
> (for
> the terminal case) as well.

While that looks promising, does this work when booting over wifi to a
remote fileserver? In the example the T420s boots to its local disk,
scripts from the fileserver would however require already having a
network connection, or am I missing something?

luis

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 18:58             ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2023-06-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Luis <luis@ck-weine.ch>:
> While that looks promising, does this work when booting over wifi to a
> remote fileserver? In the example the T420s boots to its local disk,
> scripts from the fileserver would however require already having a
> network connection, or am I missing something?

No, I don't think you're missing anything.

* Re: [9fans] Prompt for wpapsk during wifi boot
@ 2023-06-14 19:02             ` mkf9
From: mkf9 @ 2023-06-14 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Luis wrote:
> While that looks promising, does this work when booting over wifi to a
> remote fileserver? In the example the T420s boots to its local disk,
> scripts from the fileserver would however require already having a
> network connection, or am I missing something?
you may do it by changing kernel's paqfs i think.