* [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)
@ 2007-05-07  0:57 Eric Boston
From: Eric Boston @ 2007-05-07  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to get the graphical user interface part of Plan9 working,
but I am having some trouble with it.

I have xen installed on my linux kernel but I am having problems
running rio, sam and acme. It boots fine into Plan9 console but then
when I try to run the applications above I get an error about
/dev/draw.

Another issue I am encountering is the keyboard input. I am having
trouble getting my backspace working; every time I press backspace it
outputs some "raw" data instead of the backspace. So every time that I
make a mistake in the typing I am forced to retype the command from
start.

I apologize if I sound too novice, but I would really like to get it
working as I am interested in Plan9 approaches as an operating system.

Thank you.

-eric

* Re: [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)
@ 2007-05-07  1:04 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-05-07  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[181 files]
[181 files]
this sounds like the ancient ^h vs. ^? problem.  what happens
when  you type ctl+h?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)
@ 2007-05-07  1:15   ` Eric Boston
From: Eric Boston @ 2007-05-07  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> this sounds like the ancient ^h vs. ^? problem.  what happens
> when  you type ctl+h?

Thank you for your quick reply.

When I press ctrl+h the caret goes back one space but the character is
not deleted.

@ 2007-05-07  8:25 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-05-07  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have xen installed on my linux kernel but I am having problems
> running rio, sam and acme. It boots fine into Plan9 console but then
> when I try to run the applications above I get an error about
> /dev/draw.

Plan 9 on xen doesn't have a graphics device, because xen reserves
the screen for the controlling "dom0" operating system.  To run
Plan 9 gui applications, you use the Plan 9 vm as a server, and
connect to it from the linux desktop using drawterm or vnc.