* [9fans] Re: 9fans Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11
       [not found] <20041208170039.88EA55F9E@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2004-12-08 17:54 ` Scheinberg, Adam
From: Scheinberg, Adam @ 2004-12-08 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi everyone. I'm new to this group, so I just wanted to take a second
to figure out if it's right for me. Looking over the recent postings,
I see a bunch of fairly technical questions. I'm relatively new to
Plan 9, I found it because I've been interested in Operating Systems
for some time and Plan 9 seems to have some interesting technology.
I've read about it for the year or so, and am intrigued.

I'd like to learn more about Plan9 and how and why people are using
it, but at least right now, not overly interested in getting too
specific.

I'm definitely a newbie to this environment. Is this a group where I
might learn a little, or is it primarily support for experienced
"9fans?"

Thanks all,

--
Adam Scheinberg
ascheinberg@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] Re: 9fans Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11
@ 2004-12-08 18:13   ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-08 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scheinberg, Adam, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'm definitely a newbie to this environment. Is this a group where I
> might learn a little, or is it primarily support for experienced
> "9fans?"

It's the latter. It's the former. It's the swiss army knife
of all things Plan 9. It's all you've got. Thoughtwork and
experimenting welcome. Stupid questions are generally
just ignored ;)

I can tell you from first hand experience that Plan 9 can be
successfully installed and used without asking much about
anyhing here. It's all out there - in the man pages and papers,
in the wiki. It's a wonderful yourney; don't spoil it.
Give it a chance.

* Re: [9fans] Re: 9fans Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11
@ 2004-12-08 18:14   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-08 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9fans is for everything and everyone.  Please avoid questions about
licensing and related issues :)

The wiki linked from http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist is a good
place to start if you're just interested in browsing and general
information about the OS.

andrey