* [9fans] scroll mouse support
@ 2004-10-22 21:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-10-22 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks to Andrey, the kernel code on sources (you'll
need to compile a new binary) has support for
mice with scroll wheels.  Rio and acme scroll their
text windows in response to the scroll wheel.

Jim and I decided that autodetection is too hard and
not likely to work anyway (I've never seen XFree86 get
it right), so you have to tell the kernel when you have
a scroll mouse (aka intellimouse) by setting mouseport=ps2intellimouse
in plan9.ini, or just by doing echo intellimouse >/dev/mousectl
at some point later.

Most Unix/Windows programs scroll half or full screens
per click, and making things worse, different scroll mice
send clicks at different rates.  Rob and I played with this
for a while a few months ago and settled on the following.
By default, rio and acme scroll one line per click, which
feels a lot smoother than big jumps.  If you want some
other behavior, you can set $mousescrollsize in your
environment to, say, 5 (5 lines) or to 25% (quarter screen).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] scroll mouse support
@ 2004-10-22 23:41 ` Patrick Kristiansen
From: Patrick Kristiansen @ 2004-10-22 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've just tried this new scroll mouse stuff out.
It works great in rio, but in acme I can't scroll up, only down.

Patrick

* Re: [9fans] scroll mouse support
@ 2004-10-23  0:10   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-10-23  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've just tried this new scroll mouse stuff out.
> It works great in rio, but in acme I can't scroll up, only down.
>
> Patrick

russ fixed that one and there should be an acme fix either out or
coming out in a bit :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] scroll mouse support
@ 2004-10-23  1:20     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-10-23  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> russ fixed that one and there should be an acme fix either out or
> coming out in a bit :)

the source is fixed.  a new binary will appear in tonight's rebuild.

russ