* [9fans] how to remove this file
@ 2004-11-06 19:59 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-06 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a file /386/bin/ape/_diff3 on my filesystem. Something is
wrong with it. 'check' on the fossil console reports:

| error: source has been removed: /active/386/bin/ape/_diff3 -> 3
| fsck: 1 clri, 0 clre, 0 clrp, 0 bclose

When I commit the command 'check clri' on the console, fossil
immediately commits suicide.

I tried to remove the file from the fossil console. It anwers that it
is removed but the situation keeps the same.

I tried to rm the file from within the shell, but it is said to not
exist. There is one version of the file under /n/dump. When I try to
copy that back, cp says: "... file already exists".

I assume, something went wrong when I copied my venti to another disk
(rdarena, writearena).

Does the file exist or does it not exist? cp and rm contradict each
other. And how to clean this pathological situation?

TIA, Heiko

* Re: [9fans] how to remove this file
@ 2004-11-06 22:57 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-11-06 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

what if you run

clri /active/386/bin/ape/_diff3

on the console?
russ

* Re: [9fans] how to remove this file
@ 2004-11-07 12:41   ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox wrote:
> what if you run
>
> clri /active/386/bin/ape/_diff3
>
> on the console?

ahh, thank you. That did it. I am surprised because I thought 'check
clri' would do the same.

* Re: [9fans] how to remove this file
@ 2004-11-07 15:38     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-11-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiko Dudzus, 9fans

> ahh, thank you. That did it. I am surprised because I thought 'check
> clri' would do the same.

well, it probably would have if fossil hadn't suicided.
i'll have to look into that -- a separate bug.

russ