* [9fans] fun with cfs.
@ 2005-01-12 18:26 Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-01-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been playing around with lib9p and then started looking at cfs. You
can do something with cfs that is kind of fun.

I can send patches if anyone wants them.

Basically, you rip all the caching out of cfs and you have a very nice
tutorial program for seeing how 9p works. Took about 15 mins. You end up
with cfs.c and (IIRC) stats.h or some such, so you get one .c file and you
can then:
./cfs -S -d il!yourhost

And you get this nice mountpoint, which you can cd to, ls, to things in
inside of .... all while watching the 9p traffic so you can see how it
works. Good fun.

It would be great for showing people how 9p works or for classes. Even
better is letting poor suffering students do the same thing with nfs, and
then with 9p; you really start to appreciate 9p if you've done a lot of
NFS (which I have ...).

Now here's where somebody tells me: that file system already exists, just
do x and y and z; so, if this is useless, well, I had fun anyway; if not,
then I'll send the c-diffs as they are very short.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] fun with cfs.
@ 2005-01-12 18:33 ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2005-01-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You have iostats and the -D flag in ramfs.
Isn't that what you want? Or am I sleeping?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3533 bytes --]

From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] fun with cfs.
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:26:30 -0700 (MST)

@ 2005-01-12 18:37   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-01-12 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Fco. J. Ballesteros wrote:

> You have iostats and the -D flag in ramfs.
> Isn't that what you want? Or am I sleeping?

the neat thing with cfs and my little hack is it serves 9p and you can
hook it to anything that serves 9p. So you can push it in front of any
9p server and watch what it does, which is kind of fun.

I'm actually beating on it for a totally different reason, I just did this
little hack yesterday and realized I could use it to watch what any plan 9
server is doing, which is kind of fun.

ron

* Re: [9fans] fun with cfs.
@ 2005-01-12 21:38 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-01-12 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Now here's where somebody tells me: that file system already exists, just
> do x and y and z;

Well, you asked for it.

    iostats -df /fd/1 rc
    # play with anything

is one way.

    srvfs -d foo /
    tail -f /tmp/exportdb &
    mount /srv/foo /n/foo
    # play with /n/foo

is another.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] fun with cfs.
@ 2005-01-12 21:43   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-01-12 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Russ Cox wrote:

> > Now here's where somebody tells me: that file system already exists, just
> > do x and y and z;
>
> Well, you asked for it.

hmm, I knew I could count on you :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] fun with cfs.
@ 2005-01-12 23:21     ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-01-12 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Charles Forsyth wrote:

> >>    iostats -df /fd/1 rc
> >>   # play with anything
>
> as it happens, `i knew that', but i wonder if little idioms like that
> might helpfully be added to the relevant manual pages in EXAMPLES.
> perhaps the more obscure ones could all be collected together in emacs(1).

yeah, I sure as heck did not know about iostats. I thought it showed
iostats but never had enough sense to try it. It's quite neat.

ron

* Re: [9fans] fun with cfs.
@ 2005-01-12 23:30   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-01-12 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2005-01-13  0:06       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-01-13  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > as it happens, `i knew that', but i wonder if little idioms like that
> > might helpfully be added to the relevant manual pages in EXAMPLES.
> > perhaps the more obscure ones could all be collected together in emacs(1).

done.
russ