* [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  3:33 Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-04-19  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there anyone having or trying to papare drawterm document?
I know there is drawterm man page, however, I mean drawterm
paper, white paper?, which describes the drawterm design
etc.

I'm now using drawterm for our class teaching on IBM note with Win XP
through wireless network.
Yes, it's very usefull to me, thanks the person who wrote drawterm.
By the way, who is the author of drawterm?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  3:43 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-19  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Drawterm is essentially a user-space version of the
Plan 9 kernel, along with a copy of cpu and exportfs
that run on top of it.

Sean Quinlan was responsible for the first drawterm,
back in the Brazil days, but I think there was a version
done by someone else for Plan 9 2e called 9t or
something like that.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  5:14   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-04-19  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Russ.

I got interested to drawterm, because it can deal with ktrans and
of course Japanese from Win XP(shit!☺).   Yes, it's very usefull to me!
It's probably because of the right decision of drawterm's design, I believe.
So, I have interest what was the key design of drawterm.

> Drawterm is essentially a user-space version of the
> Plan 9 kernel, along with a copy of cpu and exportfs
> that run on top of it.

> Sean Quinlan was responsible for the first drawterm,

So, we cannot expect him to write design document of drawterm?

I know you wrote the essence of it, however, I feel it too tarse to me.
For an example, how he made Plan 9 kernel to other OS's user space?
Please don't force me to read all the sources of it!

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  5:36     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-19  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Please don't force me to read all the sources of it!

but that's where all the fun is!

the main part of the plan 9 kernel is the device driver switch
and the device drivers, which provide resources.  instead of
providing hardware resources, the drawterm version uses
the underlying operating system to make the calls.  devip
and the screen are good examples.

if you're not familiar with the regular plan 9 kernel then
you might start with that and then attack drawterm.
if you're already familiar with the kernel then drawterm
shouldn't be much work.

russ

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  6:23       ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-04-19  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

>> Please don't force me to read all the sources of it!
>
> but that's where all the fun is!

Ok, then in short.

How I can envolve port/devkbmap.c into drawterm?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  6:33         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-04-19  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> How I can envolve port/devkbmap.c into drawterm?

i'm not sure it's useful.  i use drawterm and don't need it,
although some of the azerty stuff needs a space typed to
get thiing like ^ to be input.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  6:40           ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-04-19  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i use drawterm and don't need it,
> although some of the azerty stuff needs a space typed to
> get thiing like ^ to be input.

I want to convert 'ctl+\' key to 'space+Shift'.
I'm doing this in /sys/lib/kbmap/jp.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] drawterm document?
@ 2005-04-19  6:53             ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-19  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

drawterm is based on an old 9p1 kernel, not
the 9p2000 kernel, so it's not trivial to move
devkbmap over.  it typically doesn't take much
work, but details of qid type bits and the like will
need massaging.

basically i'd start with devkbmap.c and devcons.c
and then look at how drawterm's devcon.c handles
chans and then make devkbmap do the same.
(basically convert devkbmap by looking at how
things in devcons.c are written in drawterm's devcon.c).

russ