* [9fans] why not GNU Ghostscript instead of AFPL Ghostscript?
@ 2005-05-16 11:59 Wei Mingzhi
From: Wei Mingzhi @ 2005-05-16 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the AFPL ghostscript is non-free software and has a
restrictive license restricting commercial
distribution...

and this has just made the sale of Plan9 CD illegal...

150万曲MP3疯狂搜,带您闯入音乐殿堂
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/yisou/music/*http://music.yisou.com/
美女明星应有尽有,搜遍美图、艳图和酷图
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/yisou/image/*http://image.yisou.com
1G就是1000兆,雅虎电邮自助扩容!
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

* Re: [9fans] why not GNU Ghostscript instead of AFPL Ghostscript?
@ 2005-05-16 12:11 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-16 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> the AFPL ghostscript is non-free software and has a
> restrictive license restricting commercial
> distribution...

That's okay, Plan 9 used to be non-free software and have
a restrictive license restricting commercial distribution.
(But we fixed that.)

The last time I imported Ghostscript, GNU Ghostscript
was way behind AFPL Ghostscript.  There were important
bug fixes I wanted that were only available in AFPL Ghostscript.
That was years ago now and the situation has probably
changed, but gs has been working well enough that I haven't
bothered to take the time to upgrade it.  Until the next round
of revisions to PostScript or PDF, I don't feel a need.

Some users in Japan have prepared a gs for Plan 9 that is newer.
Maybe they chose the GNU version.

> and this has just made the sale of Plan9 CD illegal...

This is not true.  Section 2.a.ii of the AFPL (see /LICENSE.afpl
on a Plan 9 CD) explicitly allows sale of CDs as long as the rest
of the software on the CD is free for non-commercial use,
which Plan 9 is.

Russ