* [9fans] 9grid: is it available now?
@ 2005-08-06  1:36 Dimitry Golubovsky
From: Dimitry Golubovsky @ 2005-08-06  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am trying to logon to 9grid.us:

drawterm -c texas.9grid.us -a sources.cs.bell-labs.com

as recommended.

I get plan9 console in drawterm, but after I enter username it says:

not on local console, won't ask for password

and drawterm exits in about 30 seconds. Nothing is printed on stderr.

I tried to strace: drawterm tries to connect to texas.9grid.us on port
17013 (and this port responds if telnetting to). But
sources.cs.bell-labs.com refuses connection on port 17005 (is this right
port for authentication?).

My attempts are based on the information from www.9grid.us that having a
source account (which I created) is enough to logon.

Is 9grid.us currently unavailable?

Dimitry Golubovsky

Middletown, CT

* Re: [9fans] 9grid: is it available now?
@ 2005-08-06 15:21 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-08-06 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It seems like I had some trouble contacting sources.cs.bell-labs.com
last night, but it seems to be working now.  Try it again and let me
know if you are still having trouble.

         -eric

@ 2005-08-08  1:18   ` Dimitry Golubovsky
From: Dimitry Golubovsky @ 2005-08-08  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Eric,

Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> It seems like I had some trouble contacting sources.cs.bell-labs.com
> last night, but it seems to be working now.  Try it again and let me
> know if you are still having trouble.

I had similar problem with 9grid.de, and Cristoph kindly pointed me out
to the function in drawterm that checked for locality of the X display.
As this is exactly my situation that X server runs on a separate
computer (i. e. X-terminal), so I added an option to drawterm to bypass
this check. After that I was able to access both 9grids and login, but
it turned out drawterm crashed my X server (the pattern is steady), so
the X-terminal rebooted (and this is good that it is separate from the
main computer). This is definitely a problem on my side.

Just in case, maybe someone had similar troubles with drawterm and
certain old/buggy X servers? Mine is Xfree86 v 3.3.6, S3 Trio64+. If
there are any other combinations that don't work please let me know.

@ 2005-08-08  1:30     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-08-08  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I had similar problem with 9grid.de, and Cristoph kindly pointed me out
> to the function in drawterm that checked for locality of the X display.
> As this is exactly my situation that X server runs on a separate
> computer (i. e. X-terminal), so I added an option to drawterm to bypass
> this check.

drawterm will happily connect when not running on the local display if
you supply '-n' as an argument at the command line.  of course you'll
need a program that can do netkey authentication so you won't have to
transmit your password in plain text, but there are several of those
available on the net.

it's a feature, not a bug.

* Re: [9fans] drawterm crashed X-server
@ 2005-08-08  1:45     ` Dimitry Golubovsky
From: Dimitry Golubovsky @ 2005-08-08  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Followup:

Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:

> this check. After that I was able to access both 9grids and login, but
> it turned out drawterm crashed my X server (the pattern is steady), so
> the X-terminal rebooted (and this is good that it is separate from the
> main computer). This is definitely a problem on my side.
>
> Just in case, maybe someone had similar troubles with drawterm and
> certain old/buggy X servers? Mine is Xfree86 v 3.3.6, S3 Trio64+. If
> there are any other combinations that don't work please let me know.

Interestingly enough, it crashed with 16bpp, but does not with 24bpp.

@ 2005-08-08  2:13       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-08  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> drawterm will happily connect when not running on the local display if
> you supply '-n' as an argument at the command line.  of course you'll
> need a program that can do netkey authentication so you won't have to
> transmit your password in plain text, but there are several of those
> available on the net.
>
> it's a feature, not a bug.

it may still be safer to type your password over the local
network so that you can get an encrypted cpu connection.

russ

* Re: [9fans] 9grid: is it available now?
@ 2005-08-11 23:03       ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-08-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> it's a feature, not a bug.

I disabled the feature in my drawterm anyway. It caused trouble in xen.

ron