* [9fans] Announce: FreeBSD port of plan9port
@ 2005-12-30  7:00 Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2005-12-30  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just want to announce you that plan9port http://swtch.com/plan9port
is now in the FreeBSD ports tree.
http://www.freshports.org/devel/plan9port

It is just a new way to install/uppgrade plan9port for FreeBSD users.
There is nothing different than the version that you can grab at its
official page.

--
GAGNON serge <serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca>
PGP KEY-ID: 0xBBC1478F

* Re: [9fans] Announce: FreeBSD port of plan9port
@ 2005-12-30  9:14 ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2005-12-30  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2005/12/29, Serge Gagnon <serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca>:
> I just want to announce you that plan9port http://swtch.com/plan9port
> is now in the FreeBSD ports tree.
> http://www.freshports.org/devel/plan9port
>
> It is just a new way to install/uppgrade plan9port for FreeBSD users.
> There is nothing different than the version that you can grab at its
> official page.

Make sure you mark this as only for i386. I had to make some changes
to build it on AMD64. I will send these to you as soon as I build it
again.

--Devon

@ 2005-12-30 15:53 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-12-30 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> http://www.freshports.org/devel/plan9port

   RESTRICTED: "Redistribution is not permitted"

What does this mean?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Announce: FreeBSD port of plan9port
@ 2005-12-30 21:25   ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2005-12-30 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:53:41 -0500
Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> > http://www.freshports.org/devel/plan9port
>
>    RESTRICTED: "Redistribution is not permitted"
>
> What does this mean?

>From /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

# RESTRICTED	- Prevent the distribution of distfiles and
# packages to the FTP sites or on CDROM (e.g. forbidden by license
# considerations).

When i read the LICENSE for the first time, i understood that a FreeBSD
package couldn't not be redistributed because of the license in
fonts/lucida.

"No right is granted to create derivative works of or
   to redistribute (other than with the Plan 9 Operating System)"

Plan9port is not an operating system itself, then it couldn't be
redistributed as a FreeBSD package. This is how i understood this line.

Sometimes, license are hard to understand especially for someone who
doesn't speak english.

I apologize if i have made a mistake. Just tell me if it is the case
and i'll remove the 'RESTRICTED' line.

--

@ 2005-12-30 21:39     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-12-30 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> When i read the LICENSE for the first time, i understood that a FreeBSD
> package couldn't not be redistributed because of the license in
> fonts/lucida.
>
> "No right is granted to create derivative works of or
>    to redistribute (other than with the Plan 9 Operating System)"
>
> Plan9port is not an operating system itself, then it couldn't be
> redistributed as a FreeBSD package. This is how i understood this line.

I would argue that distribution of the fonts with plan9port
counts as being with the Plan 9 Operating System, since
that's what plan9port is, just a port of the Plan 9 Operating System
software to Unix systems.

If you pulled the fonts out and distributed them with some
other piece of software, that wouldn't be allowed.  But I think
distribution with plan9port is fine.

Russ