* [9fans] Now have sound but not via acd
@ 2006-08-10  1:00 John Boutland
From: John Boutland @ 2006-08-10  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Installed an old sb16 and now have sound. At boot up I 'm told I have
audio, with irq5 and dma 1,5. With audio0=type=sb16 port=0x220 irq=5
dma=1 in plan9.ini and bind -a '#A' /dev in my profile, I invoked cdfs
and cat'ed track to /dev/audio as usefully suggested by Gabi Diaz. I
have sound!

But I get no sound via acd using /acme/bin/386/acd /dev/sdD0. /dev/audio
is present to acme window. Track names are picked up from cddb and cd
starts and stops OK. I've noticed that using acd, the cd light is steady
rather than flashing on/off as is usual when playing cds. Is the device
correct? Or do I for example need to define scsi0=type=? in plan9.ini
and use that in acd rather than sdD0? If so, how do I find the device type?
John

* Re: [9fans] Now have sound but not via acd
@ 2006-08-12  6:50 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-08-12  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

acd tells the CD-ROM drive to play.
if there is no audio cable connecting
your CD-ROM drive and your sound card,
the (electrical) audio signal isn't going to
make it to your speakers.

acd does *not* read the digital pcm
off the cd and relay it to the sound card.
that method, now common, was not
reliable when i wrote acd.

this difference probably explains the
cd light difference you've observed.

if there is a cable connecting your CD-ROM
drive and you're still not getting sound, it's
probably because the sound card's cd volume
is at 0.  cat /dev/volume to see and
echo cd 50 >/dev/volume
to change.

russ