* [9fans] hget in proxy environment
@ 2004-02-06  5:54 vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-02-06  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

i tried to install plan9 using network method but couldnt. i noticed a
couple of problems:

1. looks like hget is used to download the distribution. and looks like
hget wont work where a proxy server serves the http requests (port 80 is
disabled).

2. there was no indication that distribution failed. the installation
proceeded to the next step as if things were fine.

3. in the next step where it asks to locate the distribution directory, it
loops till you locate a directory where the distribution is found. you
know you need to do something but it doesnt let you correct the problem.

the issues here are minor and can wait to be fixed. however, i think it
should be easy to fix hget so that it works well with proxy environment.

any help appreciated.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] hget in proxy environment
@ 2004-02-06  9:15 ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-02-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb  6 03:39:07 GMT 2004, vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:

> 1. looks like hget is used to download the distribution. and looks like
> hget wont work where a proxy server serves the http requests (port 80 is
> disabled).

I don't know if it helps but I have a "hacked" hget
version which is aware of /env/httpproxy and work
perfect with squid.

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] hget in proxy environment
@ 2004-02-06 17:04 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

httpproxy=proxy.name.or.address

should work with hget.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3040 bytes --]

From: <vdharani@infernopark.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] hget in proxy environment
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:54:33 -0500 (EST)

@ 2004-02-11  2:44   ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2004-02-11  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto wrote:

> httpproxy=proxy.name.or.address
>
> should work with hget.

It does.  If anyone is interested, I further hacked hget so that it
supports basic proxy authentication (the proxy service at my work
requires this)

apply diffs below and then set httpproxy to the incredibly secure form
of "http://user:password@host:port/".  No, it doesn't use factotum, no,
it isn't very plan9-ish, yes, it works for me, with my system and my proxy.

BUGS - basic authentication is very basic.

	Adrian

cpu% diff hget.c /sys/src/cmd/hget.c

8,9d7
< #define BASE64BUFSZ 64
<
21d18
< 	char userinfo[BASE64BUFSZ];
209d205
< 	char *q;
220,222d215
< 	if(u->userinfo[0] != '\0'){
< 		u->userinfo[0] = '\0';
< 	}
248a242

258,273d251
<
< 		/* get userinfo (if present) */
<
< 		q = strchr(s, '@');
< 		if(q != nil){
< 			*q = 0;
<
< 			if(enc64( u->userinfo, BASE64BUFSZ, (uchar *)s, strlen(s)) == -1) {
< 				werrstr("error encoding userinfo");
< 				return -1;
< 			}
<
< 			s = ++q;
<
< 		}
<
382,384d359
< if( px->userinfo[0] != '\0' ) {
< 	dfprint( fd,"Proxy-Authorization: Basic %s\r\n",px->userinfo);
< }
466,468d440
<
< 		case 407:	/* Proxy Authentication */
< 			sysfatal("Proxy Authentication required");

Adrian Tritschler                          mailto:ajft@ajft.org
Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E, Altitude 50m,      Shoe size 44