* [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 14:19 hugo rivera
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-03-10 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,
I am a little confused about setting up venti (on linux).
I followed the instructions found on the wiki, and venti is up. But
now I am lost; as far as I understood (from the man pages) I have to
run vac every time I want to backup something and then unvac it every
time I want to recover it, right? I heard many times, here and
elsewhere, that you can configure venti to perform a backup of the
whole system say at 3:00 am, then am I supposed to create some kind of
rc script to do this (using vac, of course)? and where yesterday fits
into this? I feel that I am missing a big part here. I want to be able
to backup my home directory every day at 3:00 am.
Sorry if the question has an obvious answer, but I cannot see the
whole venti picture yet.
--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 14:34 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-03-10 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You want to look at vbackup - that's what I'm using for my systems now.
Here's the script I use on my Linux system, at some point I may write
up something a bit more comprehensive about how to set this up, but
you can figure most of it out by looking at the man pages and code if
necessary.  I use lvm to help get a sound snapshot to backup, for my
70G home dir it takes about 30 minutes.   The "config" necessary to do
vnfs is in the home.vac.log - that'll give you a dump-like view.  At
some point I'm gonna write a write-logger for lvm so that I can only
scan over the changed blocks in the file system more efficiently, that
should reduce backup time and allow tighter granularity.

#!/bin/bash
export PLAN9=/usr/plan9
export PATH=$PATH:$PLAN9/bin:/sbin
export venti=tcp\!9.3.61.250\!venti
lastscore=' '

if [ -f /etc/venti/home.vac.log ]; then
	lastscore=`tail -1 /etc/venti/home.vac.log | cut -d ' ' -f 5`
fi
/sbin/lvremove -f /dev/lvm/homesnap
/sbin/lvcreate -s -n homesnap -L 20g /dev/lvm/home
echo Starting Venti Snapshot of /home/ericvh `date` $lastscore >> /etc/
venti/home-time.log
/usr/plan9/bin/vbackup -f -w 4 /dev/lvm/homesnap $lastscore >> /etc/
venti/home.vac.log
echo Finished Venti Snapshot of /home/ericvh `date` >> /etc/venti/home-
time.log
/sbin/lvremove -f /dev/lvm/homesnap
cp -rf /etc/venti/* /home/ericvh/etc/venti

On Mar 10, 2009, at 9:19 AM, hugo rivera wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a little confused about setting up venti (on linux).
> I followed the instructions found on the wiki, and venti is up. But
> now I am lost; as far as I understood (from the man pages) I have to
> run vac every time I want to backup something and then unvac it every
> time I want to recover it, right? I heard many times, here and
> elsewhere, that you can configure venti to perform a backup of the
> whole system say at 3:00 am, then am I supposed to create some kind of
> rc script to do this (using vac, of course)? and where yesterday fits
> into this? I feel that I am missing a big part here. I want to be able
> to backup my home directory every day at 3:00 am.
> Sorry if the question has an obvious answer, but I cannot see the
> whole venti picture yet.
> --
> Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 14:35 ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2009-03-10 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM, hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a little confused about setting up venti (on linux).
> I followed the instructions found on the wiki, and venti is up. But
> now I am lost; as far as I understood (from the man pages) I have to
> run vac every time I want to backup something and then unvac it every
> time I want to recover it, right? I heard many times, here and
> elsewhere, that you can configure venti to perform a backup of the
> whole system say at 3:00 am, then am I supposed to create some kind of
> rc script to do this (using vac, of course)? and where yesterday fits
> into this? I feel that I am missing a big part here. I want to be able
> to backup my home directory every day at 3:00 am.
> Sorry if the question has an obvious answer, but I cannot see the
> whole venti picture yet.
> --
> Hugo

Venti is just a block storage, I think you're wanting to learn about
fossil. But I have no idea if you can run fossil in p9p.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 14:43   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-03-10 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/3/10, Robert Raschke <rtrlists@googlemail.com>:
> Venti is just a block storage, I think you're wanting to learn about
>  fossil. But I have no idea if you can run fossil in p9p.

I think you can't.

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 14:52   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-03-10 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

uh, I think these are the pointers I needed, many thanks.
Now I'll try to get them to run, and maybe tomorrow I will have a full
system backup ;-)

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 15:32 ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-03-10 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use vac (and sometimes vacfs) on my Linux.

archdir=/archives/`date +%Y/%m/%d`/$archbase
mkdir -p $archdir
lastvac=`find /archives -name $archname-*.vac 2>/dev/null | sort | tail -1`

if [ "x$lastvac" != "x" ] ; then
       d="-d $lastvac"
else
       d=""
fi

thisvac=$archname-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.vac
vac $d -f /tmp/$thisvac $* && mv -f /tmp/$thisvac $archdir/$thisvac && \
       vac -m -f /archives/archives.vac `find /archives -maxdepth 1
-mindepth 1 -type d`

If I mount /archives/archives.vac with vacfs I see tree similar to the
one in plan9 (/2008/12/24/...). I can also mount particular day using
the /archives/2008/12/24/*.vac score.

   Lucho

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:19 AM, hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a little confused about setting up venti (on linux).
> I followed the instructions found on the wiki, and venti is up. But
> now I am lost; as far as I understood (from the man pages) I have to
> run vac every time I want to backup something and then unvac it every
> time I want to recover it, right? I heard many times, here and
> elsewhere, that you can configure venti to perform a backup of the
> whole system say at 3:00 am, then am I supposed to create some kind of
> rc script to do this (using vac, of course)? and where yesterday fits
> into this? I feel that I am missing a big part here. I want to be able
> to backup my home directory every day at 3:00 am.
> Sorry if the question has an obvious answer, but I cannot see the
> whole venti picture yet.
> --
> Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-10 16:08     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-03-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

// //But I have no idea if you can run fossil in p9p.

// I think you can't.

not currently, but it'd be nice. i'd like to be able to serve a
fossil fs from my laptop to 9vx instances. maybe a rainy weekend project.

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-11  8:52   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-03-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

One other thing, I cannot see venti usage statistics, as pointed in the wiki.
hget tells me:

hget: too many errors with no progress Connection refused

do you know what could be causing this? (for some reason venti is not
posting anything in my http port)
is there some other way to get the statistics?

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-11 12:28     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-03-11 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

check you conf file, make sure you have http!*!80 explicitly in your
venti.conf.

       -eric

On Mar 11, 2009, at 3:52 AM, hugo rivera wrote:

> One other thing, I cannot see venti usage statistics, as pointed in
> the wiki.
> hget tells me:
>
> hget: too many errors with no progress Connection refused
>
> do you know what could be causing this? (for some reason venti is not
> posting anything in my http port)
> is there some other way to get the statistics?
>
> --
> Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti conf
@ 2009-03-11 12:56       ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-03-11 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks again.
I found that my port 80 is being blocked by something (probably a
firewall) so I told venti to use another one.
the syntax is
httpaddr tcp!*!999
now I can see how much space I am actually using inside my arena.

--
Hugo