* Re: [9fans] no job control; thank you!
@ 2002-07-18 14:53 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-07-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Systems like TOPS-10 had a nifty feature whereby one could start
>>a job on one terminal, detach the terminal, and log in elsewhere
>>and reconnect to the detached job.  Not "job control", but in the
>>same vein.

it was a long time ago, but i vaguely recall that particular feature was
precisely the one that was adapted to form `job control' on `unix',
which also explains why `job control' was the term used
in a system that had no `jobs'.  it was probably designated by
Mrs Malaprop.

* Re: [9fans] no job control; thank you!
@ 2002-07-30 16:18 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-07-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I have an Inferno app that monitors /dev/draw and remembers enough state
>> to reproduce the display (actively) on the /dev/draw of any client that connects
>> to it on a network port.  The clients can connect at any time.
>> It does need a real local /dev/draw to do the grunge and maintain the images.
>
> post it!  i've wanted that for plan 9 for a while.

This sounds similar in spirit to what consolefs does...

* Re: [9fans] no job control; thank you!
@ 2002-07-30  5:11 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-07-30  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-18 15:02 rog
From: rog @ 2002-07-18 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Suppose you start some long-running task but soon realize that it's
> going to run out of disk space.  It is very useful to be able to
> temporarily stop the task, rearrange files on the disks to make room,
> then resume the task.  Some form of control over an executing process
> is required for such things.

is there any reason one couldn't send a "stop" message to
a rio window just as an "interrupt" message is sent currently?

> Systems like TOPS-10 had a nifty feature whereby one could start
> a job on one terminal, detach the terminal, and log in elsewhere
> and reconnect to the detached job.  Not "job control", but in the
> same vein.

there's no essential reason why you couldn't do that under plan 9,
i think. just put a level of indirection above the draw device.

i used to like that feature of "screen" - i could keep several programs
going in one session and remain logged in for days despite
logging in from several different terminal rooms.

acme dump is ok, but has certain lacks.

i think rob's got some ideas on this...

  rog.

* Re: [9fans] no job control; thank you!
@ 2002-07-18  3:49 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-07-18  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'd like to thank all the Plan 9 developers for keeping job control
> out of Plan 9.  I've just had a close encounter with job control after
> many years away from Unix (hey, somebody has to clean the sewers), and
> the complexity and botched implementation(s) of that bad idea are
> mind-boggling.  I finally gave up.

I never liked job control; it seemed like the wrong answer to the
problem of managing multiple processes.  When I first saw windows,
even though the system they were on didn't have processes, a light
bulb went off in my head: *that* is the right answer.  And it was.

-rob

* [9fans] no job control; thank you!
@ 2002-07-18  3:23 Geoff Collyer