* [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9
@ 2008-10-16 11:55 Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2008-10-16 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have a server running Inferno, exporting its namespace and playing the
full Inferno authentication game. I'd like to be able to mount this
under Plan 9.

Would it be possible for me to run an Inferno locally, mount its
factotum at /mnt/factotum on the Plan 9 host, make sure that the Inferno
factotum has an appropriate key (from authcvt), and use the Plan 9
mount?

Is there any way for an better way for me to be able to have
authenticated connections between an Inferno instance and a Plan 9
terminal? Any chance of Plan 9's factotum learning how to speak infauth?

Thanks,
-- vs

* Re: [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9
@ 2008-10-16 13:34 ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2008-10-16 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Any chance of Plan 9's factotum learning how to speak infauth?

that was done as a GSoC project, but i then made the mistake
of trying to include it as part of a much larger change on
the Inferno side. it wasn't a silly mistake: factotum doesn't
support the key structure required for public keys and signatures,
so something more was needed. i also wanted to extend Inferno's
authentication scheme.  that in turn is requiring a big (ie, visible)
change in a few old Inferno modules and commands.

still, for your purposes the temporary hack of stashing the
existing certificate data in hex would be fine.
i'll send you some changes for you to try.

* Re: [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9
@ 2008-10-16 14:08   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-10-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's something I was always wondering about. I'm starting to understand.