* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  4:38 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-03-17  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> NetBSD runs on ESX at the same time as Plan 9 and it switches off
> reproduceably pretty abruptly when I try to FTP the GNU directory from
> gnu.org,

good to see the netbsd guys have taste!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  6:15 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-03-17  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Tiny Core Linux looks interesting. Played around a bit in a VM tonight
and will be trying it on the ThinkPad tomorrow. I'm curious about your
setup. I assume you're using 9vx directly for graphics, no more
drawterm? You run within X?

My attempt tomorrow is going to be giving a GB or two to Linux and the
rest to fossil, trying to integrate the localfs and native ethernet
patches to 9vx, and booting off that. The combination does look like a
very nice starting point.

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17 12:30   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-03-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Anthony Sorace <anothy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tiny Core Linux looks interesting. Played around a bit in a VM tonight
> and will be trying it on the ThinkPad tomorrow. I'm curious about your
> setup. I assume you're using 9vx directly for graphics, no more
> drawterm? You run within X?

yes, because I don't think there is a vx32 implemention that uses
devfb. Which is just
as well, the devfb drawterm was nice but when it fails, well, you're
in trouble.

I'd like to have a cdrom that just boots up into tinycore and vx32.

ron

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2010-01-19 11:40     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-01-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So how far did you get? I'm currently reading about that package
system and think we could send a 9vx package to the maintainer when
ready...
I'm also not sure yet about the best way of binding packages directly
into the filesystem instead of ftp getting them

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Anthony Sorace <anothy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tiny Core Linux looks interesting. Played around a bit in a VM tonight
>> and will be trying it on the ThinkPad tomorrow. I'm curious about your
>> setup. I assume you're using 9vx directly for graphics, no more
>> drawterm? You run within X?
>
> yes, because I don't think there is a vx32 implemention that uses
> devfb. Which is just
> as well, the devfb drawterm was nice but when it fails, well, you're
> in trouble.
>
> I'd like to have a cdrom that just boots up into tinycore and vx32.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  4:34     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-03-17  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You say 'skip lguest' -- that's fine. But what's the best alternative
> for running Plan9 server
> on the same bare metal that needs to run something else?

I find VMware ESX (server 3i) pretty robust, whereas VMware server
under Ubuntu makes Ubuntu somewhat more fragile than if I don't start
any virtual machines, keeping in mind that bits of VMware server start
up at boot time.  Ubuntu itself jams solid, which may be a memory
problem.

NetBSD runs on ESX at the same time as Plan 9 and it switches off
reproduceably pretty abruptly when I try to FTP the GNU directory from
gnu.org, I haven't had occasion to trigger anything in the same vein
for Plan 9.  I do confess that both virtual machines tend to be
underutilised and the NetBSD failure does not occur under normal
circumstances.

++L

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  2:26     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-03-17  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Roman V. Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:

> You say 'skip lguest' -- that's fine. But what's the best alternative for
> running Plan9 server
> on the same bare metal that needs to run something else?

OK, for that, lguest is great. I am thinking entirely in terms fo
supporting what THNX was for, i.e. a laptop terminal, and for that, I
think that vx32 is a better base.

ron

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  1:38     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-03-17  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You say 'skip lguest' -- that's fine. But what's the best alternative
> for running Plan9 server
> on the same bare metal that needs to run something else?

more hardware ☺

- erik

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  1:36   ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2009-03-17  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 03/16/09 06:01 PM, ron minnich wrote:
> skip lguest.
>
> What I'm looking at now is tinycore linux: tinycorelinux.org and vx32.
> Much easier. Makes a nice terminal. I have to add some things to it,
> it doesn't come w/wireless.

That is all fine for the terminal (I suppose you really mean running
tinycorelinux.com
on bare metal and running 9vx on top of it) but shouldn't there also be
a [para]virtualization
solution for Plan9?

You say 'skip lguest' -- that's fine. But what's the best alternative
for running Plan9 server
on the same bare metal that needs to run something else?

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  1:01 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-03-17  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

skip lguest.

What I'm looking at now is tinycore linux: tinycorelinux.org and vx32.
Much easier. Makes a nice terminal. I have to add some things to it,
it doesn't come w/wireless.

ron

* [9fans] THnX status?
@ 2009-03-17  0:51 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-03-17  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I recently got a relatively modern ThinkPad. I figured it might be a
good chance to play with something new, and THnX has always looked
interesting. I have Ron's stuff from August or so; is that still the
latest? Is there a better way to run Plan 9 in lguest, with as minimal
a Linux underneath as practical? The README is specific to running off
a USB stick; is there another set of instructions somewhere for
running off the HD?